Liked
    585 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it's a bit of the latter. Quite a bit
    I want to feel the bike and find its limitations and incrementally upgrading rather than just getting prebuilt and hoping to go quick.

The auction bike went for too much for being abused by thieves, worked out 5500 or so
    And that recovered bike is just too much drama.

Nearly gonna get a Gixxer 600 for 3k.. I had a 750 and like the position

Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's always a bit tricky with the mid-size bike market.

Honda CBR600RR will always net you the most hits with bikes and parts available and the reliability right up there. They are also the easiest (boring) to ride and ride fast.

R6's are probably the next most prolific bike out there, but with their peaky engine and razor handling they have often proved too much for most and muted up good and proper.

The later ZX6R is probably the best of both worlds, torquiest motor of the lot with good handling, but not many about as most keep them because they are simply that good all round.

The little Suzuki is a tricky one as not many were tracked in WA, good handling but a bit wheezy and gutless in the engine department. Parts seem to be harder and more expensive to get a hold of. Unless you wait for the female owner of one to drop it in their driveway.

You'll still always be better off getting a track ready one off a racer as they would have been more meticulous with servicing and parts, compared to some numpty road rider who may have ridden it into the ground.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    VJ22 RGV250, MC22 CBR250RR(R), CBR600RR, CBR1000RR Repsol
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    Honda CBR600RR will always net you the most hits with bikes and parts available and the reliability right up there. They are also the easiest (boring) to ride and ride fast.
    eh... i found the late model r6s easier to ride fast actually.

Well, certainly on corner entry anyway, and definitely no more difficult.

The front end of the r6 is more confidence inspiring on corner entry IMHO, the rear end of the honda puts power down better (and feels more stable mid corner).

Swings and roundabouts.

I'd extend the age range back to say 2006-2007 as that's basically when 600cc development stopped outside of bolting on fancier suspension and brakes (which you'll likely rebuild/respring/re-valve or replace on a track bike anyway), and buy one based on condition. Plenty of old bikes with no kays for cheap.

Oh yeah, r6 also good if you don't want any children, a regular hard ride of one will ensure that any potential offspring are cooked well in advance.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motorbike
    a couple...
    Liked
    585 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my eye on something else... bike is non-fucked, but story is a bit sketchy. No hits on PPSR though but need to get it checked by 3rd party

Am almost was tempted by this too, $1400 and your racing.. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/darl...ike/1199326249

Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shabadoo View Post

Am almost was tempted by this too, $1400 and your racing..]
    RAcing in what? the 300cc prod class does not allow these as their too old?

ps another 250 has popped up for the same price. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bull...50r/1196222834

Motorbike
    a couple...
    Liked
    585 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shit hey.. no 250s any more. Havent been keeping up with things for a while. Explains the price I guess

Motorbike
    a couple...
    Liked
    585 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The later ZX6R is probably the best of both worlds, torquiest motor of the lot with good handling, but not many about as most keep them because they are simply that good all round.
    by later you mean the new ?09+ styling? theres an 07 zx6 (600) on gummers at the moment for 5k.. could flog the fairings off etc.

any experience with em re: issues? my zx10 had some clutch probs, but i wasn't exactly kind to it.

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anything after 03 for the ZX6R (03/04 is ugly as a hat full of arseholes though), is where they started getting really light and sharp, the prior ones were all land barges better for touring than track work.

05-08 is handy as the exhaust is under the seat so less likely to be damaged in a slide.

09-present day is pretty much the same, other than the onset of traction control and ABS which you want to rip of anyway. Variable engine maps which is also a waste of time as you will leave it on max power even in the wet. Multi level maps and TC are a joke and a waste of time as they are offered to us mortals. Both ABS and TC is so infuriatingly intrusive you'd do anything to get rid of it. Having done so on my ZX10R, I'd see even less point in having TC on something as gutless as a 600cc.

Personal choice I'd hunt for an 05/06. No TC or Engine maps to worry about. Get braided lines on it, a Brembo RCS19/20 master cylinder, standard brakes are shit, and away you go.

Additionally if you are only interested in track riding and not racing, find a 636 version for a touch more torque.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes Joe Shabadoo liked this post

Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another benefit of the 05/06 is that they are basically free on the secondhand market as it is looks like 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag. In road trim it is one of the worst looking sportbikes of its time. If you can still get race fairings and bits for it it’s a good trackday bike choice for sure.
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're thinking of the 03/04;

the 05/06 is a super model next to it;
    Likes Commander Keen liked this post

Motorbike
    Hot tub SRAD time machine
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bleh - the 05/06 looks like a canoe, what worked on the zx10 translated as chubby on the smaller 600, and it had put on weight from the 04. They looked much better in the flesh ( IMO) mine :

mind you i thought the 999 Ducati shat all over the 996 looks wise so maybe im just a weird cunt, or vision impaired, or possibly both.
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shabadoo View Post
    Shit hey.. no 250s any more. Havent been keeping up with things for a while. Explains the price I guess
    I did put a ?? at the end of the sentence. I don't race so not 100% sure but when looking into buying a 250cc proddie myself a few years ago I was sure they were out no longer allowed. Even if they were allowed, the hp/torque difference between a 250 to 300cc Ninja is more than you would think.

Maybe the Historic club has a class for them? dunno tho.

Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're thinking of the 03/04;

the 05/06 is a super model next to it;
    Nope. Just nope.
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.
    Likes marras liked this post

Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    bleh - the 05/06 looks like a canoe, what worked on the zx10 translated as chubby on the smaller 600, and it had put on weight from the 04. They looked much better in the flesh ( IMO) mine :
    Does it matter what it looks like? FFS, you ride a bike not look at it...or do you?

Motorbike
    Hot tub SRAD time machine
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personal opinion datsikk thats all, nothing more nothing less

to fair he called the 04 as ugly as a hat full of assholes so yeh

and yeh i ride 'em i also like ALL my toys squeeky clean and factory original

each to their own hey
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by datsikk View Post
    Does it matter what it looks like? FFS, you ride a bike not look at it...or do you?
    Depends if it's Italian or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
    Nope. Just nope.
    Strange, I loved the look of that model ZX6R, thought it was the best looking 600 Kawasaki ever built, and second only to the R6 as the best looking 600.

Motorbike
    a couple...
    Liked
    585 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We only get one life. It's pretty short too. Some shorter than others.
    With that in mind, I've realised that it would be offensive to Jesus/Allah/Vishnu to waste that life on riding a Honda.

And every idiot seems to whore out their gixxer with ghetto spec shit too, so am down to the zx6, r6 and an outside bet on a 675, though I already did one of them.
    like the 07/08 zx6 position better than the 09+, seems better on road too, but expect this will be a pointless comparison to on track
    couple r6's to ride tomorrow

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, refer back to the relative difficulty and expense of getting Suzuki gear, weird but true in Australia. The US would be a different story.

But back to the matter at hand, if you're looking at the ZX6R vs R6. Generally speaking the Yamaha will have better brakes from stock and a set of braided lines will be all you need to start off with but these can be transformed with a Brembo RCS master cylinder. I've always been disappointed with stock Kawasaki brakes, and as mentioned earlier a Brembo RCS master cylinder will net good results. Fuck it, you should buy a Brembo RCS, and have it sitting ready by now.

If your bike has ABS, bypass it! I can't stress that highly enough.

The R6 you'll find will feel sharper/edgier in handling from the go (the Kawasaki from road trim might need some tuning) and the engine will come on screaming higher in the rev range, a ZX6R will feel a touch sluggish in comparison as it typically has a fatter torque curve and not quite the same sensation of a top end rush.
    That doesn't make one better/faster than the other, just different. The R6 you will need to keep screaming, all the time like a two stroke... the ZX6R not so much

If that makes sense.

Motorbike
    a couple...
    Liked
    585 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It won't have ABS, all good mate
    And yep makes sense. They all feel gutless compared to litres anyhow, at the start riding these I was tentative to wring their neck in ways which would normally have me upside down with broken bike and body parts. WOT out of corners now seems fine though.
    Probably need to be higher in rev range.