Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth_oau View Post
    Has anyone purchased anything overseas since harvey norman got his way and overseas websites are required to collect The Aus government’s 10% GST?
    Yep heaps of stuff...most add the gst after the sale at the check out ...ebay collects it for all sellers OS...and the rest dont give a &^%$ or dont meet min requirements

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GST.....we had it good for a while there...!!!!!

aww well , we now have to pay...Is Gerry fukkin Harvey responsible for this ??!!!!????? KHARNT...Just like Dick face Smith fucked up 'Aussie Bush Foods' another KHARNT!!!!!! Fuktards!!!
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still works out cheaper than buying everything in Australia...

And now there's no need to try and keep it under $1000, so just load up and save in consolidated shipping.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    fast ones
    Liked
    406 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had mixed experiences when it comes to GST. I recently made a small ($30) ebay purchase from the UK and was charged GST. Another small ebay purchase from Greece and I wasn't charged GST. If you ship with FedEx and it's over AUD$1,000, FedEx send you an email asking for GST payment before your parcel lands in the country. A AUD$600 helmet from the Netherlands and no GST charged. Sometimes the seller writes a lower $ value on the consignment note without you even asking.
    “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”

Motorbike
    Ducati
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozza View Post
    Yep heaps of stuff...most add the gst after the sale at the check out ...ebay collects it for all sellers OS...and the rest dont give a &^%$ or dont meet min requirements
    I have seen a few sites no longer selling to Australian addresses - they cant be stuffed setting up systems to become an Australian Tax Office collector - this is exactly the outcome that hardly normal was hoping for

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bean View Post
    I've had mixed experiences when it comes to GST. I recently made a small ($30) ebay purchase from the UK and was charged GST. Another small ebay purchase from Greece and I wasn't charged GST. If you ship with FedEx and it's over AUD$1,000, FedEx send you an email asking for GST payment before your parcel lands in the country. A AUD$600 helmet from the Netherlands and no GST charged. Sometimes the seller writes a lower $ value on the consignment note without you even asking.
    the $1000 threshold ended in July, and now even a $1 item is subject to GST

Motorbike
    GB250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth_oau View Post
    I have seen a few sites no longer selling to Australian addresses - they cant be stuffed setting up systems to become an Australian Tax Office collector - this is exactly the outcome that hardly normal was hoping for
    Yeah but there are ways around it. You just need a mail forwarding service in that country...downside is fees and postage can eat a lot of the savings.Also its not hardly normal just the gov singing
    "What about me? It isn't fair
    I've had enough, now I want my share
    Can't you see, I want to live(pay of our national debt)
    But you just take more than you give"

Motorbike
    Crims
    Liked
    33 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an example;
    Arai Pedrosa Samurai ~ $1160 delivered from an Australian supplier off eBay;
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Arai...tOuA:rk:9:pf:0

Same helmet from Japan, just on $800 delivered;
    https://japan.webike.net/products/22897226.html

The trick is to use your brain.

Now I'm not sure what you want to do with the other $300, but a set of boots sound nice.

Again these are reputable companies and suppliers. Many of them have been around for decades and their customer base is larger than the entire Australian motorcycle industry as they have embraced a global customer supply over simply cutting the throat of the shop down the road.

And finally in case I haven't mentioned it earlier is use your brain, and happy shopping.
    Yes, I paid $550 for an RX-7RR replica from these guys, which was unavailable here & if it was would be double the price.
    The helmet turned up in a matter of days via Japan Post. Hard to beat that. I knew my Arai size as this was my third Arai.
    Might be not such a bargain now due to the exchange rate. The Australian brand importers fucked it for everyone, retailers & customers. I expect some of them no longer exist.
    Last edited by Crim; 28-10-2018 at 07:32 PM.

Motorbike
    R6
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Motoheaven are very cheap. They have a website and EBAY shop too.

Motorbike
    Ducati
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozza View Post
    Yeah but there are ways around it. You just need a mail forwarding service in that country...downside is fees and postage can eat a lot of the savings.Also its not hardly normal just the gov singing
    "What about me? It isn't fair
    I've had enough, now I want my share
    Can't you see, I want to live(pay of our national debt)
    But you just take more than you give"
    yeah I've been using www.hopshopgo.com for freight forwarding (and also for parcel consolidation) for many years

Motorbike
    BMW R100RS, K100RS
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the verdict is in. I bought two helmets and they are both as flimsy as fuck with no relevant standards that I can see. One of them has a strap mechanism like a cable tie - just a plastic ratchet that I'm certainly not going to trust my life with. My wallet is (only a little) lighter but it was worth a shot

Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to see how all the steps I mentioned on how to get a quality helmet and save a tonne of cash was ignored.

Good job.

- - - Updated - - -

Please post a link to these bargain helmets that made you part with your hard earned.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    Bandit 1250
    Liked
    3 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Steak View Post
    Well the verdict is in. I bought two helmets and they are both as flimsy as fuck with no relevant standards that I can see. One of them has a strap mechanism like a cable tie - just a plastic ratchet that I'm certainly not going to trust my life with. My wallet is (only a little) lighter but it was worth a shot
    What?

How cheap were these helmets and why would you even want to take the risk??? o.O

Money comes and goes, head injuries don't.

But if you want to save some money, try to find a good quality branded helmet second hand on Gumtree. There are a lot of people who buy helmets for their friends/girlfriends and they never get worn. So you can pick up a basically brand new helmet at a second hand price. This way you can actually try it on to make sure you're getting a good fit. I wouldn't recommend old helmets or worn helmets though, stick to near brand-new.

I have about 5 or 6 helmets in my garage haha, most have come for free when I've bought another bike