Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying Helmets on EBay

I'm in the market for a new lid and was rather surprised to see how cheap they are on EBay.

Some of the cheaper ones, however, made no mention of AS1698, so Ive asked the question. I'm not sure whether it's legal to sell lids that don't meet Australian Standards, so we'll see what they say.

Does anyone else have experience with buying lids online?

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've bought a few over the years. I wouldn't be looking at the cheapo ones decent brands only, and if you're wanting the AS1698 sticker your going to need to get it from an Au. Store

Motorbike
    2018 MT10 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can get brand names cheaper online. Don't worry about the sticker....the EU labels are on the strap

Motorbike
    fast ones
    Liked
    406 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't need an Australian Standards helmet. The last 4 helmets I've bought locally haven't come with one. I'm not even sure AS1698 exists anymore. What standard does it comply to?
    “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”
    Likes Shady7/8 liked this post

Motorbike
    Ducati
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d be incredibly surprised if the AU standard was different to the EU standard.

Yje AU sticker is just another way retailers try to prevent competitive pricing

Motorbike
    None for now.
    Liked
    247 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mum's partner has a few off ebay but they're about as strong as cardboard, so stick with brand names

Motorbike
    fast ones
    Liked
    406 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Likes frenchie liked this post

Motorbike
    Gen 2 SV650
    Liked
    2501 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've bought a couple of lids from the states, not ebay stores but rather online sellers.
    Ultimately it's your head and you can do what you like. I don't subscribe to the "How much is your head worth" argument as good lids can be had for $250-350 all day from US stores, though I wouldn't wear a $50 helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    Why be a cunt about it?
    Likes Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    Hot tub SRAD time machine
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.rsc.wa.gov.au/Your-Safet...lmet-Standards

"To ensure that your protective helmet is compliant with the Western Australian legal standards and types, look for identifying marks on the helmet, such as a sewn-in label and, on 2010 or later helmets, a compliance sticker. All helmets must be marked to show that they comply with the relevant Australian Standard (i.e. AS 1698:1988 or AS/NZS 1698:2006) or UN ECE 22.05.

For helmets that comply with UN ECE 22.05, the helmet must bear a label displaying an international approval mark. Look for a label sewn into the retention system of the helmet.
    The mark is in a form of a circle surrounding the letter ‘E’, followed by the distinguishing number of the country in which the testing and certification was approved. The number on the right of the ‘E’, therefore, may vary from one model of helmet to another (e.g. 2=France, 3=Italy).

The mark must also have information concerning the actual standard with which it applies (i.e. 05 is the ECE 22.05 standard and is followed by the approval number issued in the respective country), the type of helmet (i.e. P is ‘protective’ and J signifies ‘Jet’ style open face approval) and its production serial number.
    "

My $79.95 ALDI full face has the AS standard sticker.
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Liked
    739 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck talking your way out of a fine with WAPOL if you get pulled up riding with a helmet that doesn't have the AS sticker on it...

Motorbike
    Twin
    Liked
    122 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Skitzo View Post
    Good luck talking your way out of a fine with WAPOL if you get pulled up riding with a helmet that doesn't have the AS sticker on it...
    Regarding that.. I'm curious as to how many people have been busted for wearing a non-compliant helmet.

Motorbike
    Honda Vfr 1200
    Liked
    68 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Chuck Steak as others have mentioned before how much do you value your head, I would buy the highest quality helmet you can afford because you cannot repair an head injury.
    I know of a number of friends who have had very bad accidents and have no head injuries because they were wearing expensive helmets.
    Just my opinion.
    Tp.

Motorbike
    Honda NC750D Integra, BMW R1200 CLC
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AS OR ECE sticker and doesn't have to be on the helmet, in the helmet is also fine. My Schuberth has the ECE sticker inside only for example.
    Likes crispymk2 liked this post

Motorbike
    Ducati
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that helmets arent manufactured in Australia, they are all imported and so the only diffrence between say an AGV or Shoei four a euro market or fot the Australian market is the sticker itself.

Our stickers must provide some amazing additional protective qualities that thise EU stickers cant
    Likes GsxInShed, BillyBoof liked this post

Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been pulled up before on the weir rd and the cops checked over my helmet specifically for the AS sticker. It was after a few nasty crashes I think last year. I had an older version and while it passed they still reminded me to change it due to material degredation because of its age. So it does happen.
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is the point being missed that the helmet distorts and absorbs impact to prevent head injuries..?

Wai..... Brain injuries take very little transfer of energy to cause permanent damage.

Fractures are a common result from helmet impact-- design is to transfer impact to collar bone,and break them to prevent spinal/neck injuries..don't forget whiplash injuries ( which can be fatal)

The jury is no longer out on concussion, either. Just ask an accident victim with a smashed helmet how long it has taken them to feel 'normal' again.

and wot GO said.....regarding manufacturing- notwithstanding outsourced production for profit margin stability in a shrinking market.

My AGV mean $400 mark lasts 2 years before lining and stitching falls to bits..that's 4 in a row now....don't even mention RJays...pfft! I've owned other brands too.. headshape /fit is key..

Is anyone gonna mention the Law change that allows euro std helmets..? and not just AU/NZ std ????
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    2018 MT10 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no not true

the rules changed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hati View Post
    AS OR ECE sticker and doesn't have to be on the helmet, in the helmet is also fine. My Schuberth has the ECE sticker inside only for example.
    and my GT Air has the label on the strap
    Likes Mr Bean, Shady7/8 liked this post

Motorbike
    fast ones
    Liked
    406 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The laws have changed. Local retailers like Dale Britton wouldn't be selling top of the line Arai RX-7V with SNELL and ECE22-05 standards if it needed an AS sticker.
    Even racers are no longer required to have AS only standard helmets. SNELL, JIS and EC are all fine. Appendix A: https://www.ma.org.au/licences-rules...%2C%27rules%27
    Last edited by Mr Bean; 26-10-2018 at 06:54 PM.
    Likes Shady7/8 liked this post

Motorbike
    A 2 wheeled one
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying Helmets on EBay

The ECE helmets are a pain in the ass if checked. Most of the time the cops don’t know what to look for (other than an aus standard sticker).

I was pulled over a few weeks (granted here in NSW, but concept applies) for a ‘random’ license check (funny how it was only bikes). Took me 45 minutes of explaining and the help of the googles to prove my Suomy was legal despite not having a sticker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrsism View Post
    Ive been pulled up before on the weir rd and the cops checked over my helmet specifically for the AS sticker. It was after a few nasty crashes I think last year. I had an older version and while it passed they still reminded me to change it due to material degredation because of its age. So it does happen.
    This only happens when the cop decides that he/she is going to play I'm a cunt try to prove me wrong while I fuck with you until you snap and give me something to do you for
    Likes Green Trident liked this post