User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Anyone interested in doing a Photo Rally?

Motorbike
    Honda CB1100F
    Liked
    94 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone interested in doing a Photo Rally?

Hey guys,

I was wondering whether there was any interest in people doing a Photo Rally in Perth sometime, similar to the crazy Iron Butt Rallies, but more condensed and in Perth (obviously). Basically a Photo Rally would be being given a list of specific things to take a photo of with your bike, getting points on each of these photos, and there being a winner at the end of the rally.

Here's the way I think it would work:
    - I create a Closed group on Facebook. Everyone who wants to take part, requests to join the group and lets me know their bike make and model as well. Message me or post or whatever.
    - I create a list of everyone taking part and their bike.
    - On the morning, we all meet up somewhere and I hand out the list of things to take photos of with your bike. It could be buildings, people, landmarks, or anything else that can be found within a few hours ride of or within Perth.
    - Each item on the list has a number of points assigned to it based on the difficulty of getting that photo.
    - You've then got the day to get to as many items on the list to take photos of it and your bike (and yourself if you want). Say we meet at 8:30, leave at 9:00, and meet back by 4:00 or 5:00 for example.
    - Once you have the photo, upload it to the closed Facebook group to get the points. Uploading would close half an hour before the end so I can tally up all the points and get back to the finishing point.
    - Throughout the day, I sit at home (lame) and log the photos and points as they come in.
    - At the end of the day we'd meet up again and announce winners and maybe grab a beer.

The purpose of the points system is that it should be about strategy, not distance. There'll be a long enough list of things to choose from, with a large enough variety of points, so getting points shouldn't be about who can clock up the most kms, but who can weigh up the chance of getting each item and its value. Things would also be scattered in all directions from Perth, so it'd be impossible that anyone could possibly get all of them. This creates the strategy part.

Rules would be obvious: ride bloody responsibly. The point isn't to speed like a crazy person to clock up as many points to win a snickers bar or whatever. The point is to go out for a different type of ride, see some new things and meet some new people, and all that jazz. Any fines would be your responsibility. Also need to be able to manage fatigue. Riding longer distances can be tiring.

However if people do want a prize, we could all pitch in $5 for a 'Winner-takes-all' pool, or maybe divvy it up for 1st, 2nd or 3rd?

So, what are your thoughts? Would you take part? Do you think it's a reasonable idea, or could it be improved, or is it just dumb?

If there is enough interest though, I'll start writing up a list of landmarks, pick a date (probably a Saturday), and post up a thread.

Cheers.
    Likes Known, Sprint, wheel_of_steell, BlackFZR liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX10R
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah sounds like fun. I'd be keen.

My suggestion, maybe open a few places for participants to deposit their photo's. Not everyone is on Facebook and PSB does support groups (https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/group.php). Could create a group for it and have a thread in there to allow photo's to be submitted. Maybe a dropbox as well plus Facebook. Give people options and hopefully it wouldn't be too hard to keep an eye on them all.
    Likes Tom V. liked this post

Motorbike
    94 cbr1000f
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thatís sounds like a bit of fun man. Iíd be in, but Iím not on Facebook.
    Likes Tom V., Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    1400GTR 2010, ZX14 09, ZX14R 2012
    Liked
    15 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a IBA 30hr rally currently being run out of Taree by Damien Cudlin parents this weekend.
    i have done one of those photo / streetname type events here and Australia wide run by FarRiders. they are fun if made interesting enough.
    FarRider # 159,

Motorbike
    K 1200 r
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a grouse idea ,Tom
    Iím in !

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm up, not on Facebook but

Motorbike
    Kawasaki Ninja
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great idea. Would be interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Motorbike
    Honda CB1100F
    Liked
    94 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet, so sounds like there's a bit of interest. From some of the suggestions, it might be worth adding in other ways for people to add their photos. I guess you'd need to be a bit technologically literate. If I gave the option of the closed facebook group, a dedicated instagram hashtag, share your dropbox folder with me, or email them to me, then would that be enough?

Oh, and any preference in regards to entry fee and prize, or no prize at all?
    Likes BlackFZR liked this post

Motorbike
    1400GTR 2010, ZX14 09, ZX14R 2012
    Liked
    15 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why not get a SD card reader and laptop or similar and download everyone pics at the end meet point, add the scores up over a few drinks then you don't have to sit home waiting.
    FarRider # 159,

Motorbike
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or we could just show each other our pics while conversing over a cold beverage.
    Likes Saltie, Sprint liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX10R
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom V. View Post
    If I gave the option of the closed facebook group, a dedicated instagram hashtag, share your dropbox folder with me, or email them to me, then would that be enough?

Oh, and any preference in regards to entry fee and prize, or no prize at all?
    I think all of those are good submission options. Maybe one other option is upload to a image hosting site (Imgur is my preference, it's damn easy to use & free) and submit a link?

For entry fee I reckon $10 would be good. You can take a nice tip for yourself for organising this event for us, say 40%, winner takes another 40% and second place takes 20%? Percentages split to the nearest $10.

Quote Originally Posted by Water pig View Post
    Or we could just show each other our pics while conversing over a cold beverage.
    I'll show you mine if you show me yours

In seriousness though, I think if we get lots of people with lots of photos it's going to take Tom lots of time to get through them all. Having people submit them over the course of the day will allow him to distribute the work load. If a few people had issues submitting then they can show them to Tom at the end of the day but hopefully not too many in that scenario.
    Likes Sprint liked this post

Motorbike
    A Clockwork Orange
    Liked
    2173 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could easily be self-governed.

At the end of the rally, people offer up their individual tally to determine (provisional) winner.

Winner then evidences their cache of images... simples.

S.
    Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.
    Likes Known liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
    Could easily be self-governed.

At the end of the rally, people offer up their individual tally to determine (provisional) winner.

Winner then evidences their cache of images... simples.

S.
    This is exactly the way I saw the problem
    Honesty system with photos for evidence. This way Tom.v can go for a ride too, rather than sit home trying to keep everyone's score

Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Difficulty of photos;

Take a selfie of you doing a wheelie on a pedestrian overpass of the freeway.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    Difficulty of photos;

Take a selfie of you doing a wheelie on a pedestrian overpass of the freeway.
    depends if a standup.
    We have a gene for gossip.
    We have a gene for superstition.
    We have a gene for jumping to conclusions and making fools of ourselves
    but we have no gene for science.
    Michio Kaka on "Buttpower"

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, Speedmaster 865, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive got a few of those from the 50 days lol that twirly one over Roe in willeton was my fav, very scary

i would be keen for this, any excuse to hoon around the city :-)

Motorbike
    Honda CB1100F
    Liked
    94 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So 2 options:
    1. Self governed
    2. I tally up throughout the day
    With self-governed I don't have to do anything throughout the day. But I wouldn't be able to go on the ride anyway since I'd know all the items in advance - that's just an unfair advantage. But you know what, why don't we try both. I'll organise the first one and I'll do the tallying up. People can send me their photos however they're comfortable: facebook, instagram, imgur, email, dropbox. As long as they let me know in advance how. I'll write down their names, bikes and how their photos are gonna come in and I'll tally it up. Then at the end of the day we can have a chat about how it went.

Prizes, I reckon keep it at $5. Winner takes 75%, second takes 25% and third takes a snickers which I'll donate. I don't want any money for this; I just want to organise something new and fun, that's all.

I'll write up a list of items tonight and post up a thread for it probably for the 10th of November in the next couple of days.

Motorbike
    Bandit 1200S
    Liked
    69 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody great idea Tom. If you need any assistance organising just drop me a PM, I'd be glad to help out however needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by devolved
    I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.