ZX10R, DRZ400SM, Speedmaster 865, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah those rectangle boxes they have just hosed clamped to the old box polls.. pretty sure they are capable of nine lanes at once (was a thread around years ago) WAPOL must of got them cheap on run out as i can not find any info or pics of said units

Motorbike
    Bandit 1250
    Liked
    3 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    The government is building a database buy photographing all bikes regardless if they are speeding or not and then use the images to build cases against riders that are captured from the front only.

Once a case is made, the current owner onus laws mean that you are deemed the rider responsible unless you can name someone else being at the controls of your bike.
    I am not sure the computer controlling the camera is smart enough to tell motorcycle apart from car (or any other vehicle)

I think the camera is controlled only by 1 of 2 things, either the RADAR senses a moving object (can determine speed) or the magnetic sensor under the road senses the vehicle has moved over it (if on a red light, this means someone just ran the red). Once the picture has been taken, the number plate can be identified via image recognition. The long distance cameras take photos of all vehicles and I think they use RADAR to sense the vehicle and then post processing to determine number plate.

To determine what type of vehicle is somewhat cutting edge technology, at least for Australian standards. I get flashed more often in my car, but I think it's probably because my cars rego was expired, think that's the most common cause of cameras flashing (aside from when you're breaking the law )

Motorbike
    BMW R100RS, K100RS
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Help me out here - are most (or all) speed cameras still forward facing (so they only photo the front of the vehicle)? I got done by a camera a few years back that photographed the rear of my car - was wondering how common they are

Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Current cameras can be set up either forward or rear facing.

Additionally they are capable of monitoring and capturing multiple lanes simultaneously. Which means that even if you're right next to someone you can still get done.

Because they can do multiple lanes and can get vehicles coming and going if one is set up on one side of the road, it will get vehicles going in both directions.

They have also now set up front facers with secondary cameras that will take a picture of the back of the vehicle in the camera car. Just in case a bike is only captured from the front.

But lets not forget its all about "safety"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MZ View Post
    I am not sure the computer controlling the camera is smart enough to tell motorcycle apart from car (or any other vehicle)
    No it's not, I was just trolling. The induction loops on the speed/redlight cameras get a bit confused with bikes and take pictures even on the green.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"