Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OFFICIAL: New RE & R Licensing Processes

There has been a lot of hearsay over the past year or so in regards to licensing but it seems yesterday the new rules were announced and they come into effect this Monday the 5th of November:

https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.a...e-process.aspx

A copy of the statement:

Novice motorcyclist safety a focus of new licence process
    Friday, 2 November 2018

Changes to better prepare motorcycle licence applicants and train safer riders
    New process to come into effect on Monday, November 5
    WA to introduce Australia's first motorcycle specific Hazard Perception Test
    The State Government has made changes to improve the motorcycle graduated licensing system (GLS), which will come into effect on November 5, 2018.

The Department of Transport has changed the process to attain a motorcycle licence to better prepare R class licence holders, and bring Western Australia in line with other Australian jurisdictions.

From Monday (November 5), R-E class applicants must complete a newly developed motorcycle specific Hazard Perception Test (HPT) - the first of its kind in Australia - before attempting the Practical Driving Assessment (PDA).

In addition, applicants must hold their learner's permit for a minimum of six months prior to undertaking the HPT for an R-E class licence.

Following a minimum two-year restricted licence phase, R-E class licence holders can attempt the R class PDA - which together with the R-E class PDA has seen an increase in rigour.

An R-E class licence restricts the rider to a motorcycle with an engine capacity of less than 660cc and a power to weight ratio less than 150kW/t. An R class licence removes the engine restriction for the rider.

Existing R-E licence holders will be able to sit a PDA one year or more from the issue date of their R-E class licence to be granted an R class licence.

Those who obtain an R-E class licence on or after November 5 can attempt an R class PDA two years from the issue date of their R-E class licence.

For further information, visit http://www.transport.wa.gov.au

Comments attributed to Transport Minister Rita Saffioti:

"The two-year restricted licence phase on R-E class motorcycles is being implemented to ensure riders gain greater experience under conditions of reduced risk - resulting in safer motorcycle riders.

"These changes, which will integrate Australia's first motorcycle specific Hazard Perception Test into the graduated licensing system, aim to improve skills and ensure greater riding experience."

Minister's office - 6552 5500

Current motorcycle GLS process -> New motorcycle GLS process
    No minimum learner's permit tenure period prior to undertaking the PDA for an R-E class -> A six-month minimum R-E learner's permit tenure period prior to undertaking the HPT for an R-E class licence
    PDA with increased rigour must be passed to obtain R-E class licence
    No motorcycle specific HPT -> A motorcycle specific HPT for R-N (moped) and R-E class applicants
    Minimum one-year restricted licence phase on R-E class motorcycles -> A minimum two-year restricted licence phase on R-E class motorcycles
    PDA must be passed to obtain R class licence -> PDA with increased rigour must be passed to obtain R class licence

There is also a notice of the changes on the DOT website which links to the above:
    https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/
    Dislikes CbrRider81 disliked this post

Motorbike
    94 cbr1000f
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be a dumb question. But is the HPT a practical thing or is done on a computer ?

Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Train safer riders" ?????

The licensing system has not once... ever, "trained" a motorcyclist. It's just proof that you have managed to wobble about very slowly for 1/2hr without falling off.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes Cone Cat, Prefectionist, thro, xor liked this post

Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The term "training" in pretty much any context, whether it be sport, driving or motorcycling, implies improvement through repetition and pushing or approaching limits of yourself mentally and physically and also your machine.

The way our road rules are written, expressly forbids the testing of ones ability or the ability of ones vehicle as an offence under the hoon laws.

Ergo our laws are written in a manner that keeps our skills as low as possible.

How else do you not shit yourself when the front goes light, other than by practicing wheelies. How else do you not shit yourself in emergency braking when the back lifts or the front locks other than by practicing stoppies. Knowing what you vehicle (and you) are capable of will make you a safer road user.

The way in which the roads are governed in this country is so back to front it's criminal. Australia only needs to look towards a real country that has figured this shit out long ago, there are plenty of them out there.
    Last edited by TurboR1; 04-11-2018 at 06:27 PM.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes CbrRider81, Prefectionist, Para045, nos, thro and 1 others liked this post

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    "Train safer riders" ?????

The licensing system has not once... ever, "trained" a motorcyclist. It's just proof that you have managed to wobble about very slowly for 1/2hr without falling off.
    You can say the same for cars The missus has been watching some TV program I think called "Driving Test" and I caught about 5 mins of it the other night and we were both gobsmacked at not only how utterly hopeless some of the drivers were but that the examiners actually passed some of them despite them being useless
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    KTM 390 Duke | KTM 250 EXC-F
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Announced 2nd November and comes into effect 5th November. I'm glad they got some community feedback on these changes, but what the fuck would we know about riding motorcycles.

Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe if they put so much effort into car licensing there would be less dumb cunts on the road killing motorcyclists.
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest or internet.
    Likes thro, Benzo liked this post

Motorbike
    Intruder
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 6 months on a learners before sitting the RE practical is going to really slow down the numbe of new riders. Makes it bloody hard to get anything useful out of the extra time unless you have a regular shadow.

Thank god they didnít introduce a logbook though.

Motorbike
    TBA
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww man this sucks so badly for me. I got my L's on Monday. I have the next 2 months off work, have had a car license for 10 years and have booked in 10 one hour lessons over the next 2 months so i can go for my test not long after. Now i have to wait 6 months, for what? They make it near on impossible to find someone to ride with by making the supervisor have their license for 4 years anyway.

They're clearly just trying to prevent mature age drivers getting a license. I'm not a throttle happy teenager, i've owner cars faster than all but the fastest drag bikes, and i've never lost my license. Why would they make a mature learner wait 6 months?

Easier to get a HR license, and that's 100 times as dangerous to others.

If someone can point out the benefit to this other than the extra one or 2 hours i might be able to gain IF i can find someone to shadow for me (because 10 lessons was all i budgeted for), feel free to mention it. If anything i can only think this will make things worse. People are going to get their L's, be ready to go after 3 months and have to chuck the bike in their shed for another 9 months.
    Last edited by Electron; 04-11-2018 at 01:26 AM.

Motorbike
    ZX10R
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Electron View Post
    Aww man this sucks so badly for me. I got my L's on Monday. I have the next 2 months off work, have had a car license for 10 years and have booked in 10 one hour lessons over the next 2 months so i can go for my test not long after. Now i have to wait 6 months, for what? They make it near on impossible to find someone to ride with by making the supervisor have their license for 4 years anyway.
    Speak to your instructor. As you got your learners permit before these changes were announced you may not be eligible for the 6 month rule. Basically what is written on your permit at the time of it being issued may still stand. I had a similar situation with my car license many years ago. They introduced the 6 month (or was it 12? I can't remember) log book however I had my learners permit before that rule came into effect. Even though I did my log book at that time that specific rule being in place it did not apply to myself as my permit pre-dated the rule.

I do agree though, I would have gone from not knowing the control layout of a motorcycle to having my license in under 3 month.

There are plenty of willing shadows on here and FB. Let people know your general area (just stating Perth isn't very specific) and post in the Newbie Friendly Ride requesting nicely for some assistance and I'm sure someone will be willing to help
    Likes Electron, BillyBoof liked this post

Motorbike
    2018 MT10 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Known View Post
    Speak to your instructor. As you got your learners permit before these changes were announced you may not be eligible for the 6 month rule. Basically what is written on your permit at the time of it being issued may still stand. I had a similar situation with my car license many years ago. They introduced the 6 month (or was it 12? I can't remember) log book however I had my learners permit before that rule came into effect. Even though I did my log book at that time that specific rule being in place it did not apply to myself as my permit pre-dated the rule.

I do agree though, I would have gone from not knowing the control layout of a motorcycle to having my license in under 3 month.

There are plenty of willing shadows on here and FB. Let people know your general area (just stating Perth isn't very specific) and post in the Newbie Friendly Ride requesting nicely for some assistance and I'm sure someone will be willing to help

yeah I believe its when the permit is issued - he may be okay
    Likes Electron liked this post

Motorbike
    TBA
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, it appears there's more people out there willing to help than i imagined, which says something about a community i never knew existed. I remember those log book changes too, they came in a year or two after i got my license.

Main difference here being they've changed the whole process by the looks, if a c class holder now has to do the new motorcycle HPT, then that's something they didn't have to do at all before, as you could go straight to the PDA.

Worth a try anyway. Almost impossible to check myself online as they haven't updated the website yet.

Motorbike
    2018 MT10 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Electron View Post
    Thanks, it appears there's more people out there willing to help than i imagined, which says something about a community i never knew existed. I remember those log book changes too, they came in a year or two after i got my license.

Main difference here being they've changed the whole process by the looks, if a c class holder now has to do the new motorcycle HPT, then that's something they didn't have to do at all before, as you could go straight to the PDA.

Worth a try anyway. Almost impossible to check myself online as they haven't updated the website yet.
    This is the most helpful forum I've been on

most people will go out of their way to help you out, as long as you're polite

- - - Updated - - -

and you won't be the only one in this position - call them first thing tomorrow morning for clarification

if you are on hold too long maybe call Elite - Speak to Tai, I'm sure he will be up to speed on the changes
    Likes Electron, BillyBoof liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda VTR 250 Supersport Naked RRII Goosefat
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pass my R class earlier this morning (yay).

However the assessors said they are getting used to the new changes, as in their mind a test-passing ride now can be a fail. I felt I rode very well but still almost copped 2 points for some very debatable errors. I really comes down to either having an assessor with common sense from now on, as if you get a grumpy ass it will take even less to send you home without a pass.
    Likes CbrRider81, Para045, dwillia liked this post