User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 73 of 73

Thread: Rode the putty road

  1. #61
    Member TurboR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just a speck in the distance
    Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Posts
    16,059
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    There are so many good roads in NZ.
    My last extended time back there for 9 months in 08 09 I regularly ran the Coromandel Peninsula. A quick lap in the morning requiring three fuel stops.
    Thirsty fucking lap.
    One of your work colleagues based in Te Ahora was enthusiastic about his job Graelin

    In my youth you couldnít do a complete lap as there was a fair bit of gravel roads and if my memory serves me right you could actually do a lap unless you doubled back.
    But. Now it is perfectly glorious, other than the ridiculous speed limits.
    I didnít know all those US State licenses would ever be useful outside the USA. Thank you again Uncle Sam.
    That is one thing that still scares me about NZ as some major roads turned to gravel just because and turning up at a rapid pace can net bad results. Having experienced a situation in our own local hills avoiding the fuzz on my R1 when the road turned to pea gravel at the crest of a hill and I blindly launched into it on the back wheel. Still no idea how I stayed on. Didnít get away from the police though that time.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

  2. #62
    Member Wahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    South
    Motorbike
    Few different breeds
    Liked
    207 times
    Posts
    1,464
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing roads in NZ but it was an easy choice to slow down on some of the best rides as the scenery was just amazing. Traffic was the biggest drawback but you can still find some amazing roads with less traffic but as Turbo said, there can be some surprises like gravel, stock etc so not a wise move to push your limits. Great tracks to do that on too.
    Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"
    Likes Graelin liked this post

  3. #63
    llbuono
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post
    Amazing roads in NZ but it was an easy choice to slow down on some of the best rides as the scenery was just amazing. Traffic was the biggest drawback but you can still find some amazing roads with less traffic but as Turbo said, there can be some surprises like gravel, stock etc so not a wise move to push your limits. Great tracks to do that on too.
    When i was younger and the bikes were stronger i rode many dirt roads i wouldn't try it on modern bikes.

    I feel the frames would develop stress cracks especially in the heat affected zones of the welded areas which is probably one of the reasons some modern sports bikes develop cracks around the steering head from wheelstands when you drop them down to hard this is in relation to aluminium alloy frames.

    I want to buy an adventure bike so i can ride them again the klr 650 single is amazing value and a great looking bike for around $9000.00 we used to have one bike to do everything now you have bikes made for specific types of riding.

  4. #64
    Member GreenMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cardboard Box
    Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Posts
    4,548
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graelin View Post
    A lot of public servants who when faced with an issue lower speed limits as a fix all. I still hold you somewhat responsible for the monster that was created lol.

    Our mutual friend.

    He is in his second term as a West Ward Councillor and is currently Deputy Chair of the Regulatory and Hearings Committee. He retains a keen interest in transport and traffic issues.


    - - - Updated - - -

    Iím getting a complex!
    He was a bitter twisted Arsehole before I had a license.
    After I had a license I found he didnít have a sense of humour either.
    I never understood him.
    For years he was up me to get a license. Up my Mates that lent me their bikes. Up my old man for letting me drive/ride.
    As soon as I got a bloody license he went above and beyond to try and take it off me.
    There is no pleasing some people!

    He took me to court a couple of times for some nasty shit but all I ever got was a speeding fine.
    After the 2nd time as extra punishment I had to spend 4 Friday frigginí nights being passenger in a MOT patrol car so I may experience the horrors of the result of speed.
    I spent one night with him. One night with Page and two nights with Ed Lewis. Ed was our neighbour. He was cool like you Graelin.
    My night with Tooman consisted of fucking chalking tyres on the main drag in Ashburton.

    I really think the extra punishment was to keep me off the streets. The most boring Friday nights of my life. Not a single chase. But if I didnít have to be with them... I would have provided them with some excitement.
    Likes Wahoo, Graelin liked this post

  5. #65
    Member Ryanoceros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Retired from riding
    Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Posts
    6,370
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llbuono View Post

    I want to buy an adventure bike so i can ride them again the klr 650 single is amazing value and a great looking bike for around $9000.00 we used to have one bike to do everything now you have bikes made for specific types of riding.
    I thought you didn't like people that rode ag. bikes ? Aren't they too timid in corners ?
    Rest in Peace

    #294


    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.

  6. #66
    llbuono
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    I thought you didn't like people that rode ag. bikes ? Aren't they too timid in corners ?
    I was racing dirt before you were born probably the only place you can speed now young ryan always amazes me when i am on the hwy doing the maximum and twenty feet away in a paddock a trail bike or 4wd overtakes you legally.

    Those motards are ok especially if i could find one big enough for me the son has an apprilia 450 twin he bought it sight unseen for a $1000.00 from his mate who had it in harvey it is a bit of a basket case and won't run properly he got rick gill to look at it and some other guy they weren't interested apparently it barely runs looks fragile.

    Apparently only one guy in the state will work on them i told him to wreck it for parts some guys are selling them for up to $7000.00 on gumtree crazy really i consider italian bikes well some of them akin to riding a bike with a hand grenade with the pin out in the engine.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Did you imply someone lost their license the other day.
    Last edited by llbuono; 11-11-2018 at 04:53 PM.

  7. #67
    Member GreenMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cardboard Box
    Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Posts
    4,548
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    That is one thing that still scares me about NZ as some major roads turned to gravel just because and turning up at a rapid pace can net bad results. Having experienced a situation in our own local hills avoiding the fuzz on my R1 when the road turned to pea gravel at the crest of a hill and I blindly launched into it on the back wheel. Still no idea how I stayed on. Didnít get away from the police though that time.
    The biggest fright I ever got was not from gravel roads but the Kingston Flyer. A steam train.
    In Otago they like their straight roads. A road goes straight for what seems kilometres and kilometres(probably 2 kilometres, if I went back now and had a look) then for no reason they do a 30kph 90į corner, cross the railroad track, and another 90į bend and continue straight for kilometres the other side of the rail line and then repeat.
    But, just to make the ride interesting they put a row of trees one side of the rail line.
    Was on a ride before I turned 15. One of my Dadís employees gave me his Titan. Flat out around the corner, as I went over the rail line I looked South and I swear I trimmed my steel caps on the Cattle Catcher on the front of the Kingston Flyer.
    Whoís stupid idea was it to plant trees parallel to a rail line.
    That was the biggest fright I have ever ever had.
    Likes Graelin liked this post

  8. #68
    Member Wahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    South
    Motorbike
    Few different breeds
    Liked
    207 times
    Posts
    1,464
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    Iím getting a complex!
    He was a bitter twisted Arsehole before I had a license.
    After I had a license I found he didnít have a sense of humour either.
    I never understood him.
    For years he was up me to get a license. Up my Mates that lent me their bikes. Up my old man for letting me drive/ride.
    As soon as I got a bloody license he went above and beyond to try and take it off me.
    There is no pleasing some people!

    He took me to court a couple of times for some nasty shit but all I ever got was a speeding fine.
    After the 2nd time as extra punishment I had to spend 4 Friday frigginí nights being passenger in a MOT patrol car so I may experience the horrors of the result of speed.
    I spent one night with him. One night with Page and two nights with Ed Lewis. Ed was our neighbour. He was cool like you Graelin.
    My night with Tooman consisted of fucking chalking tyres on the main drag in Ashburton.

    I really think the extra punishment was to keep me off the streets. The most boring Friday nights of my life. Not a single chase. But if I didnít have to be with them... I would have provided them with some excitement.

    So he took you on as a personal challenge eh?? I guess it stopped you killing yourself when you were younger so it must have worked.
    Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"

  9. #69
    Member GreenMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cardboard Box
    Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Posts
    4,548
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post

    So he took you on as a personal challenge eh?? I guess it stopped you killing yourself when you were younger so it must have worked.
    It has worked for 46 years and counting.
    Likes Wahoo liked this post

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SOR
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Posts
    4,032
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    It has worked for 46 years and counting.
    His methods got runs on the board, well numbers on the board that got him all the way to the top. Being told to put motorist in court for not stopping at a stop sign by barest of margins saw the end of my job. I would not do it and resigned. All he was interested in was numbers of offences not the serious of them. He got rid of both of us to Australia GM. News papers feted him when he retired.

    Your quote GM


    I really think the extra punishment was to keep me off the streets. The most boring Friday nights of my life.

    Not a single chase.

    But if I didnít have to be with them... I would have provided them with some excitement.

    Do you think there as a Common denominator GM?
    Likes GreenMeanie, Wahoo liked this post

  11. #71
    Member agrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Liked
    2779 times
    Posts
    14,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going for a ride along The Great Ocean Road in a few weeks. Just found out the speed limit is 60kmh and we'll be riding Royal Enfields. Sad face.
    -

  12. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SOR
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Posts
    4,032
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    It was eighty kph four years ago on GOR and two slow. Heavy enforcement too.
    Last edited by Graelin; 12-11-2018 at 07:26 AM.

  13. #73
    Member chew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rivervale
    Liked
    2943 times
    Posts
    14,191
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agrid View Post
    I'm going for a ride along The Great Ocean Road in a few weeks. Just found out the speed limit is 60kmh and we'll be riding Royal Enfields. Sad face.
    You are on the south coast of Vic, weather can be pretty average at times. I have ridden it twice and was blessed with great weather both times. Our biggest issues were the MG car club pottering along once and some local riders who thought they should be quicker than us.

    There is a run up into the Ottways on Skenes Creek Road that is a good circuit breaker before Apollo Bay heading west.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •