Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removing lettering etc on rim

I want to re-powdercoat my rims and before I do it I want to sand back some ugly casting marks and also the manufacturers name, rim size markings etc because they look dreadful as they are blurred by the powdercoating

I will be putting the bike over the pits at a later date so I want to know if there is any requirement to keep these markings visible

Cheers

Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What sort of rims are they and off what bike?

I doubt that any pit inspectors will be looking that closely at wheel markings. Not something I have ever come across with inspections I have had to undertake.

Contact Steve's motorcycles in Midland as they are licensed inspection garage for a straight answer.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    bike baik sekali cinta bagus?
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stock Brembo rims from an Aprilia RS250.

They look tacky IMO with the lettering ill-defined and lots of casting marks

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pitted mine..they looked at the rim sizes. And filled it on the form.

But do what you like.

EDIT .. in hindsight it was rim/tyre size they looked at...maybe speed rating????
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Powdercoating is great for gates, hand rails, basically any building product for your house. And a cost-effective way for making automotive parts look shiny and new from a distance, for a while. Ever tried polishing plastic though? Or touching it up once it's scratched?

The correct way to do rims is:

Vapour blast (Soda's fine but more effort)
    2 pac paint

See a spray painter such as the excellent potato. He can apply the paint in such a way that you can even still see all of the factory tooling marks on your Brembo Aprilia RS250 wheels, just like he did mine. And repair them to perfection if you notice a rim was slightly out of round, as he did mine. They were attached to my bike and its won awards, been in magazines, made the rounds on forums and Facebook etc, so they aren't terrible

...Unless your previous powdercoater sandblasted the detail away. As a heat-intensive, industrial process is likely to.

The lettering is kinda important. So are considerations like crack propagation from defects caused by errant die-grinders.

I'd see how they look once the existing coating has been removed before committing to any decisions.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

PSB Corporate Sponsor PREMIUM potato's Avatar
    your paint/scratched it/crashed it smash repair shop
    Motorbike
    rattly v-twins-love em
    Liked
    1127 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    Powdercoating is great for gates, hand rails, basically any building product for your house. And a cost-effective way for making automotive parts look shiny and new from a distance, for a while. Ever tried polishing plastic though? Or touching it up once it's scratched?

The correct way to do rims is:

Vapour blast (Soda's fine but more effort)
    2 pac paint

See a spray painter such as the excellent potato. He can apply the paint in such a way that you can even still see all of the factory tooling marks on your Brembo Aprilia RS250 wheels, just like he did mine. And repair them to perfection if you notice a rim was slightly out of round, as he did mine. They were attached to my bike and its won awards, been in magazines, made the rounds on forums and Facebook etc, so they aren't terrible

...Unless your previous powdercoater sandblasted the detail away. As a heat-intensive, industrial process is likely to.

The lettering is kinda important. So are considerations like crack propagation from defects caused by errant die-grinders.

I'd see how they look once the existing coating has been removed before committing to any decisions.
    much more fun and accomplishment than doing run of the mill smash work on bodged up covered with obscure shit ching chong jap bikes, sorry, ill informed owners cheaping out and wanting to customise their honsuzkaw with perceived " value" parts.

baaa.

LOL

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by potato View Post
    much more fun and accomplishment than doing run of the mill smash work on bodged up covered with obscure shit ching chong jap bikes, sorry, ill informed owners cheaping out and wanting to customise their honsuzkaw with perceived " value" parts.

baaa.

LOL
    Uhhh well I did want this on the GSXR you're doing...

Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    bike baik sekali cinta bagus?
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    Powdercoating is great for gates, hand rails, basically any building product for your house. And a cost-effective way for making automotive parts look shiny and new from a distance, for a while.
    That's kind of what I thought. It's good at hiding detail and making stuff look generic'. BUT I also thought that powder coating was much more hardy?

Vapour blasting is strong enough to get the powder coating off? I always though it was too gentle?

Still got the original powder coating so I can't imagine the detail is blasted away but I'll be interested to see how it looks without it

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to think powder coating was good too. Did lots of car parts with it, and stuff for my RS125. It's a last resort now. There are just far better paint products out there for every circumstance.

In terms of hardiness, there are paints available now that are used on firearms in the States. Super thin, but so tough you can attack them with steel wool and gravel without damage. And moisture hardening clears that are pretty tough themselves.

Powder coating is just plastic bead melted over your parts in a layer. Some places apply it well, some blob it on. Same as sandblasting - some are artisans, some remove detail. It's a risk because the process itself is so aggressive and has the by-product of generating heat through friction.

Vapour blasting is sandblasting with the exact same blasting media contained in water. The water eliminates heat. It also makes the media "bite" harder - think of a regular hammer versus a Dead Blow hammer. So it can be gentle as soda or strip powder coating quickly off. And the results are far more safe and consistent even if the operator isn't too interested. The machinery costs far more though, so it's a more expensive process.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"