Liked
    833 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Known View Post
    [*]The urge some people have to keep up pushes them too far. I've seen too many dodgy overtakes out in the country. People going wide into on coming traffic. Doesn't matter what is said in pre-ride briefs, someone doesn't listen or care.
    This...happens on just about every ride until you meet the crew you feel comfortable with. It will always be the case with Randoms and group rides open to the public.

Good write-up.
    All I've got and more for #294...RIP Chris Adley
    #158...RIP James Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    Wooohoo !! Fucking 10/10 ride. Cheers for that Aari, you really conditioned my sphincter

Motorbike
    1988 GSF250P, 2010 Z1000, 2013 Z800
    Liked
    423 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Known View Post
    All this being said I do have some MAJOR concerns:
    • Riding with different people of different skill levels can get messy, even on some rides that are meant to be relaxed. May need to have a method of vetoing riders to ensure those attending have some serious country miles under their belts before even thinking about attending this.
    • The urge some people have to keep up pushes them too far. I've seen too many dodgy overtakes out in the country. People going wide into on coming traffic. Doesn't matter what is said in pre-ride briefs, someone doesn't listen or care. If something goes wrong this far from home...
    • Fatigue hits people at different rates. With a small group if someone says they're not feeling it the entire group can take a break, not easily done with a big group
    To points one and two, This can be really hard to manage from my humble experience leading ~2 ish hour hills rides over the past few years, let alone 2-3 days of riding all day. As Maz has said over time you build a bit of a crew that you know and trust to keep pace and ride within their limit (plus being decent to talk to at the stops haha). Telling some people the truth about their riding can lead to bruised ego's but better than than physical bruising or worse if they ride to their imagination. As I've thrown out a bit lately, fast/skilled/competant riders know they're good, they don't really say it out loud, you should worry if someones all "nah mate I'm a real good rider aye" "Mate me and my boys will leave you behind". It's not *limited* to younger blokes, but what I've seen tends to show that our confidence to skill ratio is a bit out of whack, personally I think I've just been outright DAMN lucky to not have that catch me out as bad as it could or should have over the years, and nobody wants someone to go down on their ride.

As for how to deal with it, perhaps in the ~2 weeks etc leading up to the ride you could do a half day country run based out of and back into Perth, with a few others you trust scattered through the pack and basically at the end tell people outright whether the invite is extended to them or not, or any caveats to their behavior etc that they'll need to display if they want to come. Depending on numbers too you could run two packs with again someone you trust that is happy to lead a more sedate pack? It all depends on numbers and interest I guess.

To the third quoted point, that's really hard to manage, but possibly my suggestion of that half day 'vetting' ride could show people what they're in for and if they're still keen to attend knowing it'll be an order of magnitude worse with the real deal. The ride is already in somewhat bite-sized chunks so perhaps if people know where they're riding to or at least where to be at the end of the day and they want to bug out, they can flick you a message so that when you stop you know not to expect them/where to expect them.

On a few rides I've lead now I've done a short brief about where we're going, the types of roads and the pace I intend to run, generally always topped off with a 'ride within your own limits' type line, don't try and keep up just for the sake of it, we'll wait for you to catch up, nobody gets left behind. Running a tail end charlie when theres about 6+ people can help here, however sometimes there are what I'd call PAINFULLY slow riders that insisted on joining and your TEC might get fed up with that.

It depends a lot on you dude, it's your ride and your pace really, be as upfront as possible about that, people need to know when the roads/conditions etc are right, the pace will pick up (perhaps quite dramatically so) as you enter that zen state of man/machine/road.

You may never be able to recreate how special that ride just gone was, as I said 5 is such a great number for a pack and it seems like you got a great group that got along and knew what they were doing and had their wits about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by boeman View Post
    Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.
    Likes Thomas Peel, GreenMeanie, Known liked this post

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spirited does mean stopping at every Pub and having a Jacks.

Motorbike
    A 2 wheeled one
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride Report: Three Days Down South on a Sport Bike with Great Company

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
    To points one and two, This can be really hard to manage from my humble experience leading ~2 ish hour hills rides over the past few years, let alone 2-3 days of riding all day. As Maz has said over time you build a bit of a crew that you know and trust to keep pace and ride within their limit (plus being decent to talk to at the stops haha). Telling some people the truth about their riding can lead to bruised ego's but better than than physical bruising or worse if they ride to their imagination. As I've thrown out a bit lately, fast/skilled/competant riders know they're good, they don't really say it out loud, you should worry if someones all "nah mate I'm a real good rider aye" "Mate me and my boys will leave you behind". It's not *limited* to younger blokes, but what I've seen tends to show that our confidence to skill ratio is a bit out of whack, personally I think I've just been outright DAMN lucky to not have that catch me out as bad as it could or should have over the years, and nobody wants someone to go down on their ride.

As for how to deal with it, perhaps in the ~2 weeks etc leading up to the ride you could do a half day country run based out of and back into Perth, with a few others you trust scattered through the pack and basically at the end tell people outright whether the invite is extended to them or not, or any caveats to their behavior etc that they'll need to display if they want to come. Depending on numbers too you could run two packs with again someone you trust that is happy to lead a more sedate pack? It all depends on numbers and interest I guess.

To the third quoted point, that's really hard to manage, but possibly my suggestion of that half day 'vetting' ride could show people what they're in for and if they're still keen to attend knowing it'll be an order of magnitude worse with the real deal. The ride is already in somewhat bite-sized chunks so perhaps if people know where they're riding to or at least where to be at the end of the day and they want to bug out, they can flick you a message so that when you stop you know not to expect them/where to expect them.

On a few rides I've lead now I've done a short brief about where we're going, the types of roads and the pace I intend to run, generally always topped off with a 'ride within your own limits' type line, don't try and keep up just for the sake of it, we'll wait for you to catch up, nobody gets left behind. Running a tail end charlie when theres about 6+ people can help here, however sometimes there are what I'd call PAINFULLY slow riders that insisted on joining and your TEC might get fed up with that.

I
    Part 1 is both the easiest and hardest to do, but ultimately itís not the issue with how the poor riders affect themselves, but what they could do that injures someone else.

We did an overnighter out to the snowys and back over the weekend, and 2 blokes were told not to continue with the group at the first stop (2ish hours in). 1 because he clearly wasnít comfortable at the posted speed limits in corners let alone the group speed, and the other for just being a fuckwit (I.e undercutting someone mid corner on numerous occasions).

Both are as dangerous to large groups as each other, and as many have said, you donít want it to happen in your ride.

Iíve done a few over here, and inevitably there is at least 2 groups if not 3, and from what Iíve seen, is largely down to the bike than the rider. A sports bike will carve out the corner road quicker, but get bloody tired doing it, while mr adventure rider or cruiser bro takes it slower but in more comfort.

The bloke who lead the ride on the weekend does 300 odd km rides each weekend and has a rule that you must have been on 6 of them with him minimum before heíll invite you to join the overnighter rides. It seems to work for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Known liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    423 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    Spirited does mean stopping at every Pub and having a Jacks.
    Every drink adds 3 degrees of maximum lean angle
    Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

Likes GreenMeanie liked this post

Motorbike
    94 cbr1000f
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    Why the dislike CbrRider81?

Would it be better to NOT have a car to cart everyone's shit about?

Sorry turbo, didnít know I did that. Scroll with my fat left thumb and must of hit the button. Anyways I removed. Yes the car idea is a good one
    Likes TurboR1 liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    423 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbrRider81 View Post
    Sorry turbo, didnít know I did that. Scroll with my fat left thumb and must of hit the button. Anyways I removed. Yes the car idea is a good one
    I think you did the same to me here - https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...=188073&page=4 - you quoted me agreeing but disliked the post?

Sorry to be off topic OP.

Motorbike
    ZX10R
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good suggestions already. I've got plenty of time to sort things out and play with ideas. I would like to keep it as one big group, even if there are smaller separate groups riding along the same road i.e. quicker riders up front (people wanting to go faster than I are welcome to pass me, just make sure to know the turn offs), a gap, then riders taking it easier. That way we all get to experience the same roads at the same time and share the 'moment' even if we weren't all there at the exact same time... if that makes any sense. It's what happened on this ride, some took it easier at certain parts of the day than others.

The saying I like to use is "I will happily wait for you at turn offs and enjoy a chat with my fellow riders. Waiting for an ambulance and recovery vehicle is a dreadful experience I would rather avoid"

I think some sort of vouching may be the way to go. Even if it is just coming out on one of the rides I post on here. I don't want to see people trying to prove themselves, just that they can ride and think for themselves and not dive around a truck because the rider in-front did it. Sometimes when leading I'll overtake a vehicle and I'll anticipate 2-3 riders behind me will overtake on the same straight only to find 5-6 have followed me through and the last 2 were on the wrong side of the road for the majority of the last corner...

A note on pace, I don't like to call my rides 'spirited' as I consider that to be hard on the throttle and hard on the brakes from/into each corner. I prefer more of a 'flow' or 'confident' approach where I will coast or hold speed on the straights and use some throttle on the corners. Using the brakes just to load up the front a little when setting-up/tipping into the corner. This method you still get to enjoy the ride and mitigate some of the risk. I also like to post public rides despite having a crew as the original reason I'm on this forum to begin with was to go out and meet other riders as I had only one motorcycling friend back then. I want to keep that legacy going.
    Likes Thomas Peel, =Maz=, frenchie liked this post