0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This makes my blood boil.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/per...ng-b881022552z

Perth motorcyclist loses leg in crash, accused dangerous driver walks away unpunished

A PERTH woman feels “betrayed” by the WA justice system after the driver who allegedly ploughed into her on the wrong side of the road without braking, almost killing her and causing her to lose her leg, walked away unpunished.

Amanda Alvarez was devastated to learn this week that the man charged over the shocking crash that changed her life forever was given an unconditional release order and cleared because of “unsoundness of mind”.

After enduring 18 months of “absolute hell” and intensive rehabilitation, Mrs Alvarez said this was an added insult, and she wanted her voice heard.

“I feel like my life and everything I’ve been through is worthless to the Australian legal system, like I don’t matter to them,” the 28-year-old said.

“I suffered the consequence for his actions and he gets nothing. It’s not fair.”

Mrs Alvarez’s active and carefree life was shattered on March 8 last year when she was heading home on her Yamaha R3 motorcycle after spending the morning in Dwellingup with her friend Ebony Philip, who was riding behind her.

While they were travelling on the 110km/h South Western Highway in Keysbrook, 61-year-old Gregory Kenneth Reid allegedly veered on to the wrong side of the road in a Holden Commodore station wagon, directly into their path. Mrs Alvarez tried to take evasive action but the pair collided. Mrs Philip and a driver towing a horse float narrowly escaped.

Mrs Alvarez clearly remembers the accident, and of waking up in the middle of the road in “intense agony” until paramedics arrived within 20 minutes and gave her morphine.

Amanda Alvarez before her accident.
    Amanda Alvarez before her accident.Picture: Supplied
    Amanda Alvarez in Royal Perth Hospital after the crash.
    Amanda Alvarez in Royal Perth Hospital after the crash.Picture: Supplied
    “I was laying on the road and Ebony was next to me. I said, ‘Ebony, it hurts, it hurts so bad.’ And she said, ‘I know Amanda, I know it does, but you’re going to be OK, just breathe.’ I just kept repeating that. My leg hurt so bad, he smashed off my knee essentially, it was shattered,” she said.

In fact, Mrs Alvarez’s left kneecap was found 20m away from her. Both arms and her left wrist were also broken. Surgeons couldn’t save her leg, which needed to be amputated 8cm above the knee.

“He would have killed me if I didn’t move. One foot to the left and I would’ve been dead was what I was told by those investigating the accident,” she said.

Mrs Alvarez said witnesses later told her that Mr Reid stayed in his car the whole time and did not offer to help.

Police say while Mrs Alvarez tried to avoid a head-on crash, Mr Reid “maintained his speed, consistent with the posted speed limit”.

To this day, Mrs Alvarez has no idea why Mr Reid, who did not have any alcohol or drugs in his system, was on the wrong side of the road and why he failed to brake.

According to the statement of material facts police provided to the court seen by The Sunday Times, the police interview with Mr Reid was cut short because of the “emotional stress the accused indicated he was under”.

The nonsensical explanation Mr Reid allegedly gave police was: “The violence is the Commonwealth government police force actually attacking me, invading me and on that note, it’s the part of, if not the foundation of, my defence of the cause of the actual accident.”

Mr Reid never entered a plea to his charge of dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm and the matter was dismissed in Armadale Magistrates Court on November 9 when he was given an unconditional release order under the Criminal Law (Mentally Impaired Accused) Act. The law states an order of that kind can be made if the court finds the accused person not guilty of the offence because of “unsoundness of mind”.

Mrs Alvarez has been told Mr Reid’s driver’s licence was revoked, but he can reapply in 2022. “I just worry about him hurting someone else,” she said.

“If he is mentally impaired and not fit to stand trial then that is acceptable, but there has to be something they can do, that means he’s not fit to be in society.”

Mrs Alvarez spent three months in hospital, but defied doctors’ expectations by learning to walk on a prosthetic leg within a few months of the accident in order to fly to the US to marry her American fiancé Gregg Alvarez, now her husband, who proposed to her after one of her many rehab sessions.

Amanda Alvarez and her husband Gregg Alvarez on their wedding day.
    Amanda Alvarez and her husband Gregg Alvarez on their wedding day.Picture: Supplied
    She defied doctors’ expectations by learning to walk again within a few months.
    She defied doctors’ expectations by learning to walk again within a few months.
    Going from the worst day of her life to her happiest within four months, Mrs Alvarez was determined to be walking on her wedding day and she achieved that aim. “The doctors told me a lot of things I wouldn’t be able to do. I decided very early on those were their limits, not mine,” she said.

Mrs Alvarez said this ordeal made her appreciate life more and realise her inner strength.

At first with her leg gone and broken arms, she couldn’t move or do even the most basic tasks. Mrs Alvarez still struggles to walk for more than 20 minutes, be on her feet for more than an hour and a half, and deals with excruciating phantom pain multiple times a day.

A physiotherapy student before the accident, Mrs Alvarez is now starting a new life in the US with her husband, who is in the military, and has decided to pursue aspirations of being a singer.

Mrs Alvarez says she isn’t angry or resentful but rather determined not to be beaten or lose herself in the trauma.

“I guess I simply realised that I had two options: I could be miserable and wish for the life I had before or I could accept what had happened to me and be the best version of myself I can be,” she said.

A WA Police Force spokeswoman said the matter was dismissed by the magistrate in Armadale, not discontinued by police.
    The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
    G T
    Likes Tron, Thomas Peel liked this post
    Dislikes dwillia disliked this post

Motorbike
    Honda CBR 1000 RR. CBR 600 RR track
    Liked
    695 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s the way of the world...no one wants to take responsibility for their actions any more....I just pleaded it’s someone else causing me mental illness...a sad world we life in...
    SP RACINGis supported by:
    MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
    Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
    Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's fucked

So the driver who caused the accident did it on purpose to take his own life...yet survived??

Now some poor ..... has lost a leg.?

I hope the case gets a re hearing...at some stage..

unsound mind..yeh so what !!!!!! he was the knut behind the wheel ...the law is an ass.

Yet.. she was unable to navigate her vehicle out of harms way..? WTF?
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."
    Likes Crim liked this post

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Name of person - check
    Proven defense strategy for causing GBH - check

Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes FJ Steve liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    Name of person - check
    Proven defense strategy for causing GBH - check

Sorry mate...I miss the implication.

there was no need to hit the bike...no reasonable excuse to use the car as a weapon. On that or any other day..?

What of that dude in Capel ( Bussel Hwy) that used his vehicle in the same manner??? He was charged.

Motorbike
    Bikeless
    Liked
    20 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know some of his here hang shit on the police but by god this sort of thing must frustrate the hell out of them.....
    Likes Thomas Peel, Tim the PM liked this post

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GsxInShed View Post
    Sorry mate...I miss the implication.
    To summarise the article:

1. You're given the identity of a person who has chosen to attack a motorbike rider with their car without provocation, causing that motorbike rider to lose a limb and suffer terribly for no reason.

2. You're given an instruction manual telling you how to be aquitted of deliberately harming another person in front of witnesses.

I'm not implying anything. So if you'll excuse me I'll be off minding my own business - I work at Pitchforks'R'Us.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes FJ Steve liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OR BBQ's galore....?

Motorbike
    a couch
    Liked
    176 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OR BBQ's galore....?
    I think you've missed the whole point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    I'm probably fucking something up.
    FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
    Administrator
    Likes Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kill it with fire...

The point is rarely missed by me.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4X using Tapatalk

Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What of that dude in Capel ( Bussel Hwy) that used his vehicle in the same manner??? He was charged.
    This wanker was charged but the magistrate let him walk.

Hope Karma gets the magistrate as well as the wanker.

Motorbike
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So It's being pursued..? mental health evaluations and the like..?

Or just get P.I. on his sad arse and wait for him to revert to 'normal'

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to write a lot of rhetoric about what I would like to see happen but then thought......whats the point?...this sort of shit happens every day and anyone expecting real justice is fooling themselves.

Wait till he's released then run him down....only make a better job of it
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast