'04 GSX-R 750
    Liked
    11 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Para045. It is normal for most of the carberetted bikes i have had, stopping the fuel from overflowing the carb is the job of the carby float and to stop it running out of the tank when disconnecting the fuel is the job of the petcock. But you are right some carby bikes require vacuum to draw out the fuel such as a kawasaki gpx250 that i worked on once. I forget the mechanism that creates the difference but aomeone smarter than me on here will likely tell us.

I am going to pull the exhaust off and check the results, also ordered a new genuine air filter so will keep everyone posted.
    The body is weak and needs to be punished!

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westfall View Post
    Thanks Wozza.
    I have to show my ignorance here but the float is set by a metal (copper) tab that can be bent but other than trial and error how do I accurately measure where the float should be set to?
    Also the fuel drains from the tank freely with the tap turned on so I am quite sure the carb is getting enough fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Westfall View Post
    Hi Para045. It is normal for most of the carberetted bikes i have had, stopping the fuel from overflowing the carb is the job of the carby float and to stop it running out of the tank when disconnecting the fuel is the job of the petcock. But you are right some carby bikes require vacuum to draw out the fuel such as a kawasaki gpx250 that i worked on once. I forget the mechanism that creates the difference but aomeone smarter than me on here will likely tell us.

I am going to pull the exhaust off and check the results, also ordered a new genuine air filter so will keep everyone posted.
    Yeah I wasn't sure as I remembered after posting that my old CR250 had a straight through tap but my last 2 have been vacuum draw and I think even my original XS250 was as well
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    GS1000st, T500 racebike
    Liked
    2 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading all the above I would think it has the wrong size main jet in it. If the problem only exists over 4k I would believe that is when the size of the main jet comes in to play. It may have been swapped out in the past for a larger one to make it faster but didn't, or may have been drilled out. air leak will only be an issue at low revs when vacuum is highest and bad crank seals will only suck in a little oil from the gearbox and create more smoke. Blocked exhaust is unlikely as it runs fine up to 4k and over in neutral. The slide needle may also be worn or in the wrong position, the little clip should be set in the middle position but I doubt this is the whole problem.
    I'm Living the dream. Really I am.

Motorbike
    '04 GSX-R 750
    Liked
    11 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi SmokeyMatt.
    The Jets and needle have come to mind and you could very well be right but I have my doubts. You see I know the guy who bought it from new, an old codger who lived in the country and rode it 17km to town and back never going over about 80kph. I can't ever imagine him changing the main jet to get more power but then I can't ask him either with six feet of dirt between us making it a one sided conversation. I think I could order a new kit with jets and needle from suzuki and just replace everything back to stock and see how we go.
    The needle is in the middle of 5 settings, however, it is worth noting that I did change it to the middle setting from the very top one which means someone had changed the needle setting. Possibly since someone changed the needle setting then perhaps they did change the main jet also and I have been wrong to assume otherwise.
    The body is weak and needs to be punished!

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pull the air cleaner off, rev the bejeezus out of it and clap the palm of your hand over the carb.
    -

Liked
    236 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do those things have an ignition coil, a black or grey lump bolted to the frame? if so, undo the bolt, remove, clean where it bolts to the frame and screw it back on, Ive seen an old RZ250 idle fine but run like a bag of shit under load because of a bad earth there, also check your stator, my old rm 125 would idle fine and rev, till it was under load when the stator shit itself

Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does it rev above 4K if you only give 50% throttle? or 25% throttle?

jets aren't really rpm based..more throttle position based so if it doesn't rev beyond 4k with any level of throttle it is more likely to be electrical or other non carb related issue.