0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Thoughts on the Honda CBF 250 circa 2007

Hi all,

I'm interested in a bike but I'll admit I'm new when it comes to motorcycling (I'm in the early stages of getting my L's - no L's yet, but have been driving a car for 15 years) so I'd really like some advice please.

The learner bike I'm interested in is a Honda 250 CBF, 2007 model. I can pick these up for about $2,000 with quite varying kilometers (similar cbfs have 13,000, 15,000, 40,000, & 50,000kms). Do models this old have any known problems that are going to cause me any major headaches? I'm not mechanically minded and would prefer the bike to 'just work' and not have to tinker with it at all. They seem to be very common and from what I've read sound like pretty reliable machines. I'm just not sure if that extends to something ~11 years old though.

I'm talking to a seller on Gumtree right now. I'm trying to do some diligence first by getting some background info, such as service history/logs and rego. So far the seller hasn't provided much info, aside from the following:

- They are the 2nd owner of the bike
    - It's a 2007 model
    - It has 13,000kms on the clock
    - Advertised as a1/immaculate condition (pics seem to be in line with this, but I can't go off that alone)
    - They have done their own servicing since ownership, apart from a major service which was done recently at the dealer. No logs or history provided.
    - I've asked for the name of the dealer and the rego so I can verify the kms/condition with the dealer mechanic, and run a plate check, but they haven't responded to that question (So I'm a little wary that they haven't given me this last point)

As I don't have my L's I can't take it for a test ride, and there's no guarantee of a pillion ride (IF I did I'd be on the lookout for basic stuff like listening to the gears, rev continuity, watch for smoke etc).

Does any of this raise red flags with you? Or for the low price and age of the machine am I worrying over nothing?

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a Honda so its likely to just work day in day out, which seems to fit your aims pretty well. The price doesn't seem particularly cheap but. I saw a nice looking low k CBR250 2012 with full dealer log history for $2100 the other day, which with a bit of haggling would probably end up around the same price for 5 years newer. Take someone with you to test ride the bike, if it's got weird habits the owner has probably worked out how to ride around or disguise them

Motorbike
    Few different breeds
    Liked
    207 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CBF 250 around 2010 was my first bike and it is a great reliable bike that still goes strong.
    Easy to learn on.
    If I was to sell it, I would be very happy to get the price you are interested in though. Check the license due date and tyres to check if it is worth the extra.
    Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"

Motorbike
    Gen 2 SV650
    Liked
    2501 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were nicknamed the "Can't be fucked" 250 for a reason.
    Will go forever but aren't the most inspiring of LAMS bikes.

Pro tip; learn with an instructor and get your license on their bike. That way once you have your freshly minted license in your hand you can test ride as much as you like and find the bike that suits you best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    Why be a cunt about it?
    Likes Thomas Peel liked this post

Liked
    416 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honda VTR250 or Kawa Ninja 250 are better bikes imho - 2 cylinders are better than one.

Tips for a mechanical check read this link:

https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...d.php?t=111011

or
    Get an inspection from this guy(yes I've used him)
    Derek Ball
    mobile motorcycle mechanic

0438 926 511
    Likes CbrRider81 liked this post

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one as my first bike. They do 120kph at full throttle in the country. They're fine for learning on and joining in speed limit rides. One of their quirks is it can be difficult to find neutral sometimes.

Don't worry about fancy for your first bike. Buy something reliable and maintain it! You'll sell it soon enough.

Motorbike
    In Progress
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody. I'll confess that I'm not in the West - Tassie actually - but have been lurking these forums for a little a while (they seem very active with members, and bikes are bikes, right?). That explains the higher price - vehicles here cost more than on the mainland. $2k would actually be a decent deal but the seller has changed his story a couple of times (it's unregistered, despite being advertised as registered) and he no longer claims to have had any dealer servicing. Sooo, alarm bells are ringing and I've decided to leave it.

I really liked the idea of getting a bike before sitting my true practical L's test in January. My brother-in-law has a farm where I can practice ride so I could get to know the bike controls before actually sitting the test. And at a $795 fee I DON'T want to fail it! How difficult are these tests anyway? I've seen a few youtube videos but will admit I'm pretty nervous about jumping into it with no experience at all.

Motorbike
    Gpx 250 suzuki bandit 1250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by player_1 View Post
    $2k would actually be a decent deal but the seller has changed his story a couple of times (it's unregistered, despite being advertised as registered) and he no longer claims to have had any dealer servicing. Sooo, alarm bells are ringing and I've decided to leave it.
    best decision you made. as a buyer you have the power. and go with your gut first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraletic View Post
    little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100% ^ steer clear and do as others have suggested take some lessons first to get a better idea of what you like and suits you.

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Motorbike
    MT-07 / G650GS
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learnt on a CBF250 I got for $1400, never had issues and was pretty nimble I found. I took the same approach, bought my bike, then did all my lessons and test on it, and kept it for a while after. Glad I did it that way personally.
    The tests differ state to state, here it's pretty easy so long as you've got something going on between your ears.
    Likes Thomas Peel liked this post