0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your best twistylicious ride

Lhasa Tibet > Mount Everest
    Roads as of 2016 are tarmac all the way to base camp, w/ 4G service.

It's mountains for some 800km, twisting up and down. Some patches have some gravel but most clean w/ light dust.
    It's freezing cold and warm even in June, and the altitude is a headache.

Likes Speed Dealer, MZ, Graelin, Wahoo, Known and 3 others liked this post

Motorbike
    Bandit 1250
    Liked
    3 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great! Bike looks sexy too

One of my favorite examples of a great road to ride on:
    Likes TurboR1, raybies, westy74 liked this post

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my favourites just outside Melbourne. Eildon-Jamieson Road. Rode it with a bloke who'd just moved over from WA and he got seasick.

Likes TurboR1, BillyBoof, Graelin liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX10R
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    raybies those photos look amazing! How long did the trip take you? How did you go with organizing it, by this I mean was it a tour group or did you hire the bike and just go for it? Very keen to hear more details

On a side note, new idea for a forum section under Motorcycle Topics called 'The Ride Report'? Could make for a good spot to share our adventures.
    Likes Thomas Peel liked this post

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yerba Buena in California.
    -

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one is fun.

https://goo.gl/maps/suLuKotcbMB2

Unless there is a blizzard on the mountain, which just takes it to another level.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Motorbike
    XT1200Z
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Known View Post
    Very keen to hear more details

1.- The trip had been on my small bucket list for a while, so I booked a Royal Enfield tour from Kathmandu <> Lhasa w/ an English company who I can't recommend bcos I didn't get what I paid for, but in the end it was a good experience regardless of the high number of SNAFUs.
    We stayed in Kathmandu 2 more days, flying to Lhasa, eventually riding down after sourcing some bikes... the back breaking Benelli w/ useless brakes and bad gears was shared among all 7 of us, w/ falling apart Yamaha 250s being the other bikes.
    The reason the itinerary changed on the 1st day was bcos one pass was still closed from the earthquake 1yr before, and the other pass the chinese were only letting commercial vehicles through... not sure this was 100% true bcos I saw a group from Kathmandu going north in Tibet, while we were going South... the tour lead said they must have rented trucks to transport the bikes over.

2.- You can only go to Tibet in a tour group w/ minders (they drove the van w/ our gear; photo baseball cap) I tried going solo back in 2015, but nearly impossible.

3.- All up inc. flights from Syd just under A$10k for 2 weeks (8 days riding)... hotels were nice, yak milk in your coffee is seriously yuk. Food took a bit of searching but was good and if you find a place that sells Snickers you stock up. Filling up was a bit weird, they didn't allow bikes in, so we would wait outside while jerry cans were brought.

4.- I prefer more off-road so I probably wouldn't do it again; Himalayas definitely, Bhutan, Kashmir; I've done the Inca trail and beyond by myself on a dirt bike which was fun and a lot cheaper.

5.- Scenery was SPECTACULAR... but I was really happy to get to lower altitudes... the whole ride was above 3000m and at 5200m its cold, you feel weak w/ a headache... I had a headache the whole time.

ITINERARY They sent me post payment 90 days before the trip... 80% inaccurate, but it's what I signed up for.

20 May ARRIVE Kathmandu. After your overnight flight, we will greet you personally upon your arrival and drive you to your hotel.. Relax and unwind after your long international flight and enjoy some R&R by the pool. If there is time go out and explore this great City. We will have an introductory meeting this evening to get to know one another. Yak & Yeti.

21 May Kathmandu Today we値l take you on a sightseeing tour of the city to give you a chance to recover from your flight, and prepare for the high altitude riding to come. We値l take in sights such as the Syambanath (monkey temple), ancient Hindu and Buddhist temple complexes, Bodnath Stupa (one of the holiest Buddhist sites), Yak and Yeti

22 May Kathmandu - Kyirong. (160km) After a leisurely breakfast we ride out of Kathmandu for the journey towards the new border crossing, and ride towards our first night stop in Kyirong (known as the happy valley), during the afternoon we have a detailed briefing for the days ahead. Kyirong Guesthouse

23 May Kyirong - Lhatse (340 km). A relatively long day today, we have a choice of 2 routes depending on weather and road conditions, our first stop would be Paiko Lake before heading towards Old Tingre. We値l ride past both the old and new Everest base camp access roads and on up the sweeping and starkly beautiful valley to crest Lhapa-La (5200m) before dropping down to our destination at Lhatse. Tibetan Farmer hotel

24 May Lhatse - Gyangtse (240 km). This morning痴 ride is long and fast (-ish, this is Tibet, and we are on Enfields) through iron rich hills and bizarre groves of saplings stretching as far as the eye can see. Shigatse is by far the largest town on the ride so far, and we値l lunch at one of its many good food-stops before heading on. The ride to Gyangtse is relatively short, but picturesque lined with increasingly lush farm plots and villages. Be sure to watch for the occasional fiberglass police statues some holding radar guns, some waving, and some bedecked by locals wearing silk scarves and prayer beads. In Gyangtse we値l visit the famous Buddhist Monastery complexes housing some of the rarest Tibetan Buddhist art in the world. Hotel Yutok

25 May Gyangtse - Lhasa (260 km). Heading north-east, today is a day of good roads and exceptional scenery as we pass Yamdrok Tso Lake on the scenic back roads to Lhasa. We ride over two more 5000 m passes, Karo-La and Kamba-La before arriving at the Forbidden City, Lhasa, and our central hotel. Luck permitting we値l arrive with enough time to wander the markets before evening, Gangyang Hotel.

26 May Lhasa (80 km). There is a lot worth seeing in Lhasa, so we値l rise early to tour both the Potala Palace, the icon of Tibet and home to 14 Dalai Lamas, and the Jokhan Monastery, often called the Heart of Lhasa. We should finish in time for ample exploration of Bharkor the pilgrimage circuit and multitude of shops and stalls surrounding the monastery. Gangyang Hotel

27 May Lhasa - Shigatse (265 km). Today we値l bid Lhasa farewell and begin the journey back toward Nepal. The day痴 route bypasses Gyangtse and takes us along the main route from Lhasa to Shigatse via the Yarlung Zangbo river. We値l leave early both to avoid heavy traffic out of Lhasa and to arrive in Shigatse with time to explore and hit the town for a good meal. Gesar China Hotel.

28 May Shigatse We will spend today exploring more of the area. Gesar China Hotel

29 May Shigatse - Xegar (New Tingre) (235km). Depending on our route on the first day we may have ridden this stretch of road already, but you値l be surprised how different it looks going in the other direction and what you致e missed along the way. Prepare for a gentle gain in altitude as we reach our lunch destination at Lhatse, and then an abrupt rise and slow, stark descent down into Xegar. We値l retire somewhat early tonight in preparation for tomorrow痴 Everest approach. Hotel Baiba

30 May Xegar - Rongbuk (110 km). This is it! Our aim today is to ride to Everest Base Camp, probably one of the most famous sites in Tibet outside Lhasa. The approach road is wide and well maintained, but dirt often with hefty corrugations and occasional deep patches of dust and gravel. Attention is paramount, especially as the steady rise in altitude begins to take its toll. We値l scale a hefty 5200 m pass by means of countless switchbacks before descending slightly to our lunch stop in the idyllic village of Pesong. The afternoon brings us up a wide, dry valley to the Rongbuk Monastery and we should arrive in time for a visit to Base Camp 9km south of Rongbuk Monastery at just under 6,000 m (18,200 ft). The highest mountain on Earth looms majestically just over our shoulders. Rongbuk Monastery Hotel.

31 May Rongbuk - Kyirong (260 km). Weather and inclination permitting, we値l rise early and ride up to Base Camp again for a final view of the mountain before taking a less-used track that meets the Friendship highway at Old Tingre. Moisture can make this route untenable, so we値l have to play it by ear. We値l lunch in Old Tingre before leaving the high altitude desert behind and riding down to our final night痴 stay back in the happy valley at Kyirong. Kyirong Guesthouse

01 June Kyirong - Kathmandu (160 km). Today we値l say goodbye to Tibet and hello once again to the warmth and hospitality of Nepal. An early border crossing will give us ample time for the ride into Kathmandu and an early afternoon arrival. After lunch your time is your own to explore the city by mountain bike or rickshaw. In the evening we have our farewell dinner party. Yak & Yeti Hotel

02 June Depart Kathmandu. Time to say goodbye, we will take you to the airport for your flight home.

Last edited by raybies; Yesterday at 08:27 AM.
    Likes keys, Known, Hati, agrid, Gim and 1 others liked this post