Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

House restoration company and/or painter recommendations

So I have one of those old character homes (that I just paid off - woo!) and the outside needs some work. I need someone to assess the cladding as to whether it's salvageable and can be sanded and painted or should be replaced. Of course, economies of scale and longevity come into it too - I don't want to push shit up hill paying someone to prepare the wood only for the paint to peel in a few years because the exposed wood is past its use-by-date. Same for some of the windows - I may need them replaced (presumably very exxy!).

Does anyone know of any home restoration companies they'd recommend to assess the wood cladding and windows and provide a quote to sand and paint the existing cladding and windows that are still in ok condition, and to replace the bits that need replacing, and to paint. The quote will likely be 50% sand and paint existing wood, and 50% replace and paint. But of course, with the wood being 60+ years old, it may be worth replacing with cement fibre boards or something.

Also, if anyone has any painter recommendations please post up. I may do a two step process with getting someone to replace the boards/windows and then getting a painter to paint them.

Thanks

edit: the outer walls above the cladding are asbestos but shouldn't be disturbed.
    Last edited by Kristy; 29-12-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Motorbike
    2018 MT10 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be looking for a retired chippy or painter - someone who can plod along at their own pace. Any reno company is going to bend you over for relatively simple work. That said I would be looking for proof of experience, chuck it up on airtasker or similar?

If you're at all handy and have the time it would be an easy job to DIY, with online tutorials and the intermawebs nothing is too hard these days (except maybe getting a tradie to quote)

Pray to fcuk there's no asbestos!

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillia View Post
    I would be looking for a retired chippy or painter - someone who can plod along at their own pace. Any reno company is going to bend you over for relatively simple work. That said I would be looking for proof of experience, chuck it up on airtasker or similar?

If you're at all handy and have the time it would be an easy job to DIY, with online tutorials and the intermawebs nothing is too hard these days (except maybe getting a tradie to quote)

Pray to fcuk there's no asbestos!
    I have a contact through my neighbour who quoted a reasonable price to replace the barge boards. Am awaiting cladding quote from him as well. Have contacted someone whose details I got by a chance meeting with someone - he does house restorations and is a one-man band. The big companies will arse rape for sure. Will see what this guy quotes.

Yes, there's asbestos but the boards are on the lower half, where there's no asbestos. Some may back away when asbestos is mentioned but if you're in the game of restoring old houses it'd be a given you'd have to work with it, though some may outright decline.

Liked
    379 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a lot more than you think to your questions. Are you keeping the home to stay in, rent at a later date, bulldoze to develop. These things should be factored in as what your asking to do wonít be cheap.

There is not very many DIY people that are any good as the old saying goes, Jack of all trades but master of none.

Pm sent.

Motorbike
    2018 MT10 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you don't need a master painter or carpenter to tidy up an old house

Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the house protected or have special planning conditions due to its age? If many of the weatherboards are past it the synthetic options are really good. My whole house is clad in 180mm fibre cement ones. It would take half the time/labour to do compared to strip, repair, prime, paint timber. They are super easy to work and paint. Make sure you donít get into a false economy of restoration if you donít have to or itís not worth it to you personally.

Also, if youíre doing the job do it right and get rid of the old asbestos sheet cladding. Itís not as complicated or expensive as man people think. Any demo company is licensed so you really just pay a couple days labour and tip fees. Then potential buyers have no leverage as you can sell it asbestos free. When we demoed our old place it only added a couple grand to the total cost but itís subject to changes in tip fees from year to year so may be more now.
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Motorbike
    Twin
    Liked
    122 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm.. PSB house restoration party?

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marras View Post
    There is a lot more than you think to your questions. Are you keeping the home to stay in, rent at a later date, bulldoze to develop. These things should be factored in as what your asking to do wonít be cheap.

There is not very many DIY people that are any good as the old saying goes, Jack of all trades but master of none.

Pm sent.
    Thanks for the PM. Will be in contact.
    Keeping the house - the inside is in good nick, it's just the outside that's not flash.
    I'm under no illusion that it will be pricey.
    Re: jack of all trades, master of none - that's why I'm thinking a chippie and a painter.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
    Is the house protected or have special planning conditions due to its age? If many of the weatherboards are past it the synthetic options are really good. My whole house is clad in 180mm fibre cement ones. It would take half the time/labour to do compared to strip, repair, prime, paint timber. They are super easy to work and paint. Make sure you donít get into a false economy of restoration if you donít have to or itís not worth it to you personally.

Also, if youíre doing the job do it right and get rid of the old asbestos sheet cladding. Itís not as complicated or expensive as man people think. Any demo company is licensed so you really just pay a couple days labour and tip fees. Then potential buyers have no leverage as you can sell it asbestos free. When we demoed our old place it only added a couple grand to the total cost but itís subject to changes in tip fees from year to year so may be more now.
    Yep definitely not worth overcapitalising, just want it to look decent. Cement fibre is likely what I'll go.
    Hadn't thought of replacing the asbestos. Probably no real need though as it's in good nick.

Quote Originally Posted by pnork View Post
    Hmm.. PSB house restoration party?

If I was laying a concrete slab for a house I'd think about a slab burnout party though.

Motorbike
    Yamaha FZ1N
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone freaks out when asbestos is mentioned. Asbestos is harmless if left alone. It's only when it is broken and the loose fibres are released it can cause any harm

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remove asbestos sooner rather than later. It is going to get far more expensive in the very near future.

The regulators, Worksafe and the Health Department met with all operators 3-4 years ago. They are taking a pro-active approach to stamping out industry cowboys.

My last audit was 3 weeks ago. If your SWMS for each job does not match what is happening on the ground, they will prosecute and they will test the site. Any asbestos detected in soil or building will result in a contaminated site memorial on your title. Now, we don't test for contamination post removal. As long as a visual inspection shows no asbestos and you've followed an acceptable SWMS process, it's all good.

However, the regulators' 'best practice' does not match what is happening on the ground, which tells the direction they are going. For example, not many people remove screws through a plastic cup filled with shaving cream to catch microscopic fibres.

Right now you'd have no problems getting the stuff out relatively cheaply and can even do it yourself in sub 10m2 lots. It's easy enough to progressively replace with Hardieplank/flex

Industry practice now is generally dust suppression through washdown and let's not worry about that pesky dust getting into the soil or the nooks and crannies of your house timbers. In the not so distant future I can see mandatory containment tents and internal abatement enclosures to capture all asbestos which will increase costs.
    Last edited by AZAZL; 30-12-2018 at 08:21 AM. Reason: acronym
    Likes dwillia, Shady7/8 liked this post

Motorbike
    2018 MT10 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agreed - asbestos is going to be harder to handle in the future

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww C'mon.. Surely there is a way to recycle Asbestos into something harmless.

Like making internal support structures for hi-rise apartment blocks..oh wai.....
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    KTM 990 Super Duke
    Liked
    3 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can try websites like hipages.com.au and airtasker.com to find someone doing the work. Even on Gumtree.com.au you can find tradies.

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the headache AZAZL! I may send you a PM.
    I have organised for a few resto company quotes but feel I will do chippie + painter job.
    So, does anyone have any painters to recommend, and a company to make up wooden windows (I think finding someone for the latter will be the hardest and as yet, have no leads).

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    So, does anyone have any painters to recommend,
    Brute on here I believe is a painter, not sure if he's strictly commercial though
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I am going to put some decking over the front patio. Ants like to live in the patio and will eat through the caulk/silicon to get back in there. Given i'm going to be permanently covering it over with decking, anyone got any info on what will permanently keep them out given I won't be able to see when they decide to take up residence again (I'd rather them not be living in any part of my house, patio included).

In terms of trying to cull/manage them, I have tried borax etc and the fuckers won't fuck off. When they were threatening to undermine my paving I squirted a bit of petrol in between the pavers - it reeks out the sand and they move elsewhere (doesn't solve the problem but moves them from a troublesome area). May have to do that if nothing else will work.

Motorbike
    fast ones
    Liked
    406 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amdro is the only stuff I would ever recommend for killing ants. It's commercial grade so it's not cheap. They take it back to the nest where it kills the queen ant the entire nest... https://www.bunnings.com.au/basf-amd...-bait_p2963666
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/amdro-45...icide_p2960943
    ďHow people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.Ē
    Likes Kristy liked this post

Motorbike
    Triumph Trident
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amdro is pretty good, it has a very short shelf life once opened so go hard with it.
    I use something else but that requires a respirator and other precautions...
    The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
    G T

Motorbike
    98 R1 - Blue Goodness
    Liked
    17 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3rd Amdro is the bees knees, you will gasp when you see the price for the size of the container but when you put it down the ants are attracted to it like crack and its kinda interesting watching them carry it back to the nest within a few minutes.

"At the start of the season, you canít win the championship in the first round, but you can lose it.Ē - Travis Pastrana

"If your mind can conceive it then
    your hands can achieve it"- Nigel Petrie (Engineeredtoslide.com)

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattis View Post
    3rd Amdro is the bees knees, you will gasp when you see the price for the size of the container but when you put it down the ants are attracted to it like crack and its kinda interesting watching them carry it back to the nest within a few minutes.
    Yep have already googled that shiz and sussed out price - I didn't fall over at the price, so all good (didn't look at the volume but presume it will more than do for a household application). I have also seen them go nuts over sugar and borax with no effect, but will give this a shot.