0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacement brake lines

Query for the collective...

If I want to replace all the hydraulic hoses on my bike, who would be worth asking? It would most likely be a "measure and make" as the bike (BMW R1200 CL) is not common at all, so very unlikely there is a replacement kit produced locally. I can source from overseas of course but would rather hand my coin over to a local business as long as they are in the ball park.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Hati; 31-12-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Spiegler USA do them, $221 USD ($313.82 AUD) So Do EBC UK 154.40 GBP ($278.62 AUD) and Goodridge USA

Locally there is Couplers Malaga that does Brakequip, also HoseMart Wangara doe braided lines as I got some made for my 79 F100 a few years back as OEM weren't available
    I did get a rough price for my BB but as it's a 10 line kit it actually worked out more expensive than what a HEL kit was, still haven't changed them but will look at them again in the near future as the OEM lines are 20 years old now and the HEL kit has got a bit cheaper
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator
    Likes Hati liked this post

Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 RSV4 Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out Venhill, you can buy any angle banjo bolt you need and then order the length of line you need to suit.

https://www.venhill.co.uk/?SID=vf17t...b853c8m44nhmo2

I have used these guys in the past to sort out brake lines on my ZX10R which needed custom lines after changing callipers and master cylinders to Brembo and also after relocating the rear caliper to be underslung. Easy as pie to do yourself in an afternoon.

It's very simple to put together yourself and you can get the perfect fit once you measure it up.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes GsxInShed liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    5260 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HEL do custom so you can create your own set...

http://au.helperformance.com/custom-brake-hose
    Likes Triple liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda NC750D Integra, BMW R1200 CLC
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I'll look into all those suggestions.

Motorbike
    GB250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 or the HEL lines...good service and what a difference they make over old standard lines

Motorbike
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I ended up going with ProBrake from Germany, mostly because they were the only ones catering for the CL. The R1200C is very different, out of the 7 hydraulic lines only 2 are the same as the CL. They claimed to have premium quality and I can confirm that now that the package arrived today. Everything is millimetre perfect, all banjo angles and positions are spot on and the chrome is spotless. Very impressed!!!

I have seen some aftermarket brake hoses and have used Italian made replacements myself but this is something else. I am a fussy prick at the best of times, not easy to please but this did. Was worth every penny of the AU$450 shipped. I can highly recommend these guys if you want quality brake lines.

Likes TurboR1 liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hati View Post
    Everything is millimetre perfect, all banjo angles and positions are spot on and the chrome is spotless. Very impressed!!!
    So you paid the extra for the chrome fittings? I personally don't like the idea of alloy fittings on a brake line no matter how well they are made
    Still not a cheap option for me, they list a kit for the BB but no price/specs etc but the list for the X-11 which was essentially a naked BB is ~418EUR which is over $663 AUD before shipping etc
    So probably similar to HEL once shipping and GST etc is added

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor

Motorbike
    Kawasaki '10 Z1000, Honda '04 CBR600RR, 80' CB750FZ
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because the thread seems appropriate. If I upgrade to a Brembo master on my CBR600, will the HEL race lines kit fit ? Looks like the lines might need to be a tad longer, but that's only me eyeballing it. Be nice to hear from someone that's done it.

Motorbike
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    So you paid the extra for the chrome fittings?
    Yup and clear blue coating for front brake and clutch lines to match (reasonably well) the bike's colour. No idea why your BB costs so much. Longer lines maybe?

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mika79 View Post
    Because the thread seems appropriate. If I upgrade to a Brembo master on my CBR600, will the HEL race lines kit fit ? Looks like the lines might need to be a tad longer, but that's only me eyeballing it. Be nice to hear from someone that's done it.
    It depends on the Brembo M/C in use and how it compares to the original unit. It may have a different orientation, it will also depend on whether you wish to change how your brake lines are run, twin lines from the M/C to each caliper, a single line for the M/C and then splits over the guard, or single down to one caliper and then a second line back over the guard to the other caliper.

It may be worth waiting until you have the M/C in hand and then you can see exactly what you need and order the correct lines with the correct angles on the banjos.

Also bear in mind the Brembo M/Cs use a different thread than the Japanese so make sure your caliper comes with the correct bolt and DO NOT reuse your original one.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes thro liked this post

Motorbike
    Harley Davidson FXSB, Ducati 916S, Piaggio MP3 250
    Liked
    5055 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hati View Post
    Yup and clear blue coating for front brake and clutch lines to match (reasonably well) the bike's colour. No idea why your BB costs so much. Longer lines maybe?
    He has DCBS (dual combined braking system) so there's extra lines linking the rear brake pedal to the front calipers and the front brake lever to the rear brake caliper
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First and best thing to do is remove the DCBS completely. It would remove about 4kg of rubber and fittings, and probably 15L of brake fluid, and you end up with brakes that actually do what you want them to.
    Likes thro liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has DCBS (dual combined braking system) so there's extra lines linking the rear brake pedal to the front calipers and the front brake lever to the rear brake caliper
    +1 There are actually 10 lines in the HEL kit for the BB

Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    First and best thing to do is remove the DCBS completely. It would remove about 4kg of rubber and fittings, and probably 15L of brake fluid, and you end up with brakes that actually do what you want them to.
    Yeah are quite a few Bird owners who have gone the de-link kit BUT I actually like how the DCBS works especially in the wet

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah are quite a few Bird owners who have gone the de-link kit BUT I actually like how the DCBS works especially in the wet [/QUOTE]

Does the combined braking do something that you can't do with your hand and foot?

Motorbike
    Kawasaki '10 Z1000, Honda '04 CBR600RR, 80' CB750FZ
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers TurboR1
    Any place you'd recommend for purchasing the M/Cyl ?
    Was planning on going to the 'race style' twin line setup. See that HEL do custom lengths, so I'll do as you recommend, get the M/Cyl first, then look at line lengths.

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Water pig View Post
    Does the combined braking do something that you can't do with your hand and foot?
    Does preventing you from applying exactly how much brake you want front and rear count?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mika79 View Post
    Cheers TurboR1
    Any place you'd recommend for purchasing the M/Cyl ?
    Was planning on going to the 'race style' twin line setup. See that HEL do custom lengths, so I'll do as you recommend, get the M/Cyl first, then look at line lengths.
    I can think of only two places these days, local is JW Motorsports and international is OmniaRacing.Net, but also a few more things of note with Brembo...

If you order a Brembo master cylinder and the bike is still to be used on the road go for a RCS as it comes with a brake switch, a lot of the other ones are purely for racing and have no provision for brake switch. Also be aware when you order one you need to make sure you order the one with the brake switch. I've always gone the RCS19.

Additionally make sure when you order it, order the reservoir with it!!! As important as making sure you use the supplied bolt as the tubing the Brembo use is different size than stock OEM Japanese.

Expect to pay between $350-$425 for the M/C and Reservoir. (but don't quote me on that price) Last time I ordered one we were at parity with the USD and I got it for $300.

I think there are newer versions now too, "Corsa" and "Corsa Corta" I'm not sure what the differences are with the original RCS range. But do some research and go with the one that best suits you. Brembo have a massive range and huge application specs (along with price). Take your time.
    Likes Mika79 liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It links the front and rear so application of the front also applies a small amount of rear and vice versa Makes it a lot more controlled in hard braking in less that ideal conditions like very wet weather
    Makes it very hard to lock a rear brake under hard braking and the bike pulls up more level than on normal braking (no endos if your into that sort of thing)

Now I know some like Turbo don't like ABS/DCBS etc but I'm not racing the bike so personally quite like the way it works and saved my arse in pissing rain where there would have been a good chance of locking one wheel or another given how late and hard I needed to brake

Likes TurboR1 liked this post

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like it would be a massive pain in the ass, what happens when you are applying trailing brakes around a corner for example, does it give you some front brake to go with it?

Motorbike
    Harley Davidson FXSB, Ducati 916S, Piaggio MP3 250
    Liked
    5055 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like it would be a massive pain in the ass, what happens when you are applying trailing brakes around a corner for example, does it give you some front brake to go with it?
    It's mostly on sport touring bikes, there's 3 pistons on each caliper, 2 operated directly 1 operated from the other end's control, so yes you get a little front brake if you're resting your foot on the brake through a corner.

Generally it's pretty stable, I have found it good on long rides when my problem right wrist won't let me get my fingers on the brake, as I can all but emergency stop on the rear brake, it pulls up quickly and level.

It's a rider aid, not really there to improve your track times or corner speeds just useful if you're grabbing a handful or bootful and want a little margin for error.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.
    Likes Water pig liked this post