Liked
    69 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanted: reviews of mesh riding pants

I'm looking for mesh pants with CE armour for summer riding around the city. Something like this:

Tried the usual local bike shops, nobody seemed to have much beyond generic 4 season ADV gear. If I can't find anything local, I'll pick up a pair online but it seems bizarre that they're so hard to find given our hot summers.

If anyone is currently using mesh pants, what brand/model do you have and how are they holding up?
    Quote Originally Posted by devolved
    I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look at RST adventure pants.

https://www.amawarehouse.com.au/rst-...nts-14831.html
    -

Motorbike
    BMW S1000XR
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Dainese warm weather mesh jacket, fantastic in summer. These pants are the "matching" bottom half:
    https://www.mcas.com.au/shop/item/da...black-pants-01
    I got the jacket at Helmet House, they may have the pants too.

Edit:
    The jacket mesh is quite coarse except where the armour is, although I guess the jacket would have better air flow than the pants.
    Last edited by 2Bigfeet; 07-01-2019 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Photos added
    The older I get, the faster I was.
    2015 S1000XR
    2014 VStrom DL650
    Likes wheel_of_steell liked this post

Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 RSV4 Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't imagine mesh/textile pants being cooler than jeans in summer. Any synthetic material would see you sweating and wetter than Micheal Jackson at a High5 concert before too long.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    Honda VFR 800 2016
    Liked
    42 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had three pairs of Dririder air ride pants. First two fell apart within weeks and exchanged under warranty. The third pair my wife restitched over the poor quality stitching as I got sick of taking them back to exchange. They lasted nearly 2 years. I usually get 3-5 years out of textiles that aren't Dririder or RST.

I currently have Alpine star Sonoran mesh pants. They flow air really well. Definitely cooler than wearing draggin jeans though it depends on what you wear underneath. I usually wear my work strides, Bisley/king gee's type.

Generally, as long as you avoid the cheap and nasty junk that falls apart constantly such as Dririder, RST or Dririder, get something with decent mesh area, you should be good.

Motorbike
    Bandit 1200S
    Liked
    69 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    I can't imagine mesh/textile pants being cooler than jeans in summer.
    My draggins do not flow any air at all, they are a swampy disaster the moment it's more than ~30 degrees out

And conecat, the only mesh pants I've seen so far were dririders, but the quality was so obviously bad that I didn't bother. I don't think they would withstand daily use, let alone a motorcycle crash.
    I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.
    Likes dwillia liked this post

Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 RSV4 Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah fair enough, I do remember the Draggin Jeans were horrendous. Prison issue jeans with Kevlar padding did make for a moist crotch (and not in a good way) but there are so many option out there these days.

I've got a pair of Spidi jeans which are quite good and have removable armour, sadly they are about 1 size too big for me and would do more damage to me in the event of a crash than prevent.

As another mention above, wearing them over business attire would certainly discount most if not all jeans, not something I factored in.

Jump on fc-Moto.de and there are many options there.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    Kawasaki Ninja
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overlander adventure equip in Midvale deal with Klim gear. Expensive but you wonít need to buy again for a while. They donít have much stock but can help with sizing and what youíre after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cringe at textile which usually means a Ď..loní of some sort.
    I hate picking that out of road rash. It melts and burns in.
    I had an experience, just a little one. Pleased it was only a small graze to the knee.

As a side note.
    The first forest fire I fought the Forest Ranger got all us newbies lined up outside HQ and demanded us to show him our underwear. It surprised me, he didnít look as he was the kinda bloke to have Lads underwear fetish.
    It was nice to know he was actually concerned with our reproductive organs.
    In those days ĎScantsí were popular menís undies and predominantly were made of more nylon than anything else.
    In the heat of a fire, your denims survive quite well, but your Scants would melt and wrap around your gear like shrink wrapped meat.
    We fought fires like Commandos.

Motorbike
    ZX10R, SV650S, DRZ400SM, YZ250, CRF50
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shorts are the way for summer, then you can pick the sand & dirt out of your shins from the BGC trucks.. its like a exfoliating treatment sitting behind those things lol

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah fair enough, I do remember the Draggin Jeans were horrendous. Prison issue jeans with Kevlar padding did make for a moist crotch (and not in a good way) but there are so many option out there these days.
    That's surprising as I've been wearing Draggin's for years (on second pair) and I really feel the heat due to my size, while I find they are warm I've never really found them THAT bad Saying that I don't really wear them as straight dresswear I have them oversize and pull them over my trousers in winter or just my jocks in summer so there is plenty of room they aren't snug

Quote Originally Posted by Hillz View Post
    shorts are the way for summer, then you can pick the sand & dirt out of your shins from the BGC trucks.. its like a exfoliating treatment sitting behind those things lol
    Ha ha I did that for many years when I first got my licence and have the scars to prove it but as I've gotten older I'm less likely to take the risk as I don't heal as quick
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Liked
    5 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a pair of draggin jeans for winter and a pair of Revit jeans for summer.
    The draggins are heavy with thick Kevlar to the trouser cuff, sweaty sack in summer.
    The Revit's are lighter weight with the Kevlar stopping at the knee. They have some metal thread through them that's meant to give a cooling effect but it's a load of wank, can only feel it when I want to warm up.
    For both the CE rated pads are inserts, so move them when needed.

The draggins are in their 4th year and still going strong, back pockets are shabby. The revits look like new but are 2 years old. Both expensive but worth every cent.

For both suppliers I got in touch by email and haggled for a deal, got quite good discounts each time (15-20% from memory). Worth asking the question.

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased some Moto-skiveez for a bit more comfort on long rides sitting on kevlar and/or textile.
    -
    Likes 2Bigfeet liked this post

Motorbike
    2012 D675R,,,2010 HD FB Blart Blart
    Liked
    341 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^looks like he could give himself a blowjob.
    -

Motorbike
    Electric bicycle
    Liked
    28 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would anyone consider mesh overalls?
    It would avoid the tight hot waist band of any pants stay on better during accident and allow good airflow for the boys

Motorbike
    Bandit 1200S
    Liked
    69 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ev View Post
    Would anyone consider mesh overalls?
    It's not something I've come across, but a few pants on the market come with fasteners for suspenders, and a really high waistline.

Motorbike
    Honda VFR 800 2016
    Liked
    42 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wheel_of_steell View Post
    And conecat, the only mesh pants I've seen so far were dririders, but the quality was so obviously bad that I didn't bother. I don't think they would withstand daily use, let alone a motorcycle crash.
    Buy motorcycle gear locally? I hate to bag our local stores, but they are usually all Dririder worshipping shrines. They have so much Dririder in stock, they don't have any room left for any actual motorcycle gear.
    About the only store I've seen with any significant stock of motorcycle gear is Cully's. Yes, they have the usual full range of Dririder, but the store is big enough to have room left over to stock other brands as well.

But really, your primary supplier of motorcycle gear is the internet and a person riding a little red Honda.

Oh and while we are talking about Don't Ride In Rain It Drenches Every Rider, Don't forget that leaks like a sieve as well as falls apart.

As another mention above, wearing them over business attire would certainly discount most if not all jeans, not something I factored in.
    I wear them as an overpant. I picked the A star Sonoran pants because they have an side zip up the leg up past your knee's so they are easy to take off without having to take off your shoes/boots. Just go up a size or two to go over your daily pants. I can even wear them over my Draggin's, if there was actually a reason to do that.
    Last edited by Cone Cat; 15-01-2019 at 07:47 AM.

Motorbike
    KTM 990 Super Duke
    Liked
    3 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have these Vanucci pants that go over my jeans for my commuting outfit. It is not too bad in warm weather. Better than my leather suit which I usually wear for joyrides.

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did the Great Ocean Road on a Royal Enfield. The Moto-skiveez definitely made a difference to the sphincter and scrotal area.
    -
    Likes wheel_of_steell liked this post