Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

buying a used motorcycle XJ6N

The short version of this story is I now live in Brunei. The market here for shopping for motorcycles is a much less than what is available in Perth and much higher prices. Here a new 2018 MT07 will cost you $15000, whereas Cully's sell same bike for less than 10k. So I will be buying a used bike.
    I found a 2011 XJ6N. One owner. 10,000k, GPR full system exhaust, regularly serviced. All OEM parts given. I can't add pictures to PSB (no...idea...). The images look like a well cared for bike. But, it currently has a a problem as the throttle body needs to be repaired. $7000
    It is not a bike I have looked at previously.
    Online research tells me they can be snatchy in low gears, brakes are shit, but generally a really well built bike with lots of bite.
    His ad doesn't say a power commander was added with the full exhaust?
    I would appreciate any advice on the XJ6N and buying a used bike. Is the throttle body issue something I need to worry about?
    Thanks

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbike View Post
    The short version of this story is I now live in Brunei. The market here for shopping for motorcycles is a much less than what is available in Perth and much higher prices. Here a new 2018 MT07 will cost you $15000, whereas Cully's sell same bike for less than 10k. So I will be buying a used bike.
    I found a 2011 XJ6N. One owner. 10,000k, GPR full system exhaust, regularly serviced. All OEM parts given. I can't add pictures to PSB (no...idea...). The images look like a well cared for bike. But, it currently has a a problem as the throttle body needs to be repaired. $7000
    It is not a bike I have looked at previously.
    Online research tells me they can be snatchy in low gears, brakes are shit, but generally a really well built bike with lots of bite.
    His ad doesn't say a power commander was added with the full exhaust?
    I would appreciate any advice on the XJ6N and buying a used bike. Is the throttle body issue something I need to worry about?
    Thanks
    Depending on exactly WHAT is wrong with the throttle body it could be expensive to replace as well as take a while for parts to arrive!

As far as pics you need a hosting company like Imgur etc (not Photobucket as you need to pay now) or even Dropbox but will need to change the www out for dl in the link to get pics to show
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator
    Likes Shadowbike liked this post

Motorbike
    Bandit 1200S
    Liked
    69 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how or why a throttle body would break in 10,000 km. Definitely clarify what's up with it because that might mean it just needs a sync, or if it's actually broken that's not a good sign and it'd be a pain in the ass to repair. Plus 8 years old and an exhaust with no tune? Signs pointing to nah for this individual bike.

xj6n is generally extremely reliable, don't even know of any known issues with them tbh. I'm personally biased against shim under bucket valves and having to sync throttle bodies, but I'm lazy/old man shakes fist at cloud. Also keep in mind, 10,000km in 8 years = 100km per month. The bike will have been sitting for long periods and it's probably on original tyres which will be shagged by now. If you jump on it and start thrashing it, plastic and rubber bits may randomly break after going brittle in the Brunei heat.

tl;dr
    Yes xj6
    This particular bike probably not
    Quote Originally Posted by devolved
    I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.
    Likes Thomas Peel liked this post

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A quick oogle on googla says these throttle body issues are from gunk/carbon? and cause sticking throttle rough idle and poor performance.

^^WHS^^ problems at first inspection..eh Look for better cheaper stronger faster....first bike you see is prob not the one to get.
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    CB300F
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GsxInShed View Post
    A quick oogle on googla says these throttle body issues are from gunk/carbon? and cause sticking throttle rough idle and poor performance.

^^WHS^^ problems at first inspection..eh Look for better cheaper stronger faster....first bike you see is prob not the one to get.
    In a nut shell. Yes, GSXInShed.

Butterfly and throttle body need periodic cleaning. Periodic?

Hmm, agree to look further than this particular xj6n,
    Thanks

Motorbike
    CB300F
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel_of_steell View Post
    Not sure how or why a throttle body would break in 10,000 km. Definitely clarify what's up with it because that might mean it just needs a sync, or if it's actually broken that's not a good sign and it'd be a pain in the ass to repair. Plus 8 years old and an exhaust with no tune? Signs pointing to nah for this individual bike.

xj6n is generally extremely reliable, don't even know of any known issues with them tbh. I'm personally biased against shim under bucket valves and having to sync throttle bodies, but I'm lazy/old man shakes fist at cloud. Also keep in mind, 10,000km in 8 years = 100km per month. The bike will have been sitting for long periods and it's probably on original tyres which will be shagged by now. If you jump on it and start thrashing it, plastic and rubber bits may randomly break after going brittle in the Brunei heat.

tl;dr
    Yes xj6
    This particular bike probably not
    Ok. Cheers.

In Brunei very few people ride motorcycles and most families own 3 cars. So the bikes are for cruising on Sunday.

Online research can be informative, but its also good to hear from people with actual experience. Especially before spending my money on it.

Yes, it is hot in Brunei!

Motorbike
    Bandit 1200S
    Liked
    69 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbike View Post
    Periodic?
    If you're running e10 fuel and no air filter, maybe every other throttle sync you'd throw carby cleaner down the throats. Also, if the bike has been sitting with old fuel, it will leave varnish wherever it sprays. Not sure about the fuel system on the xj6 but being based on the r6 engine, it might be spraying injectors at the throttle butterflies? Realistically if you ride regularly and keep up with basic maintenance you will never have to clean a throttle body this side of 100,000km.
    Quote Originally Posted by devolved
    I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.