User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chemical cleaner to bathe carbs?

Motorbike
    ZX10 B1, DR650SE, 250 trackie
    Liked
    371 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chemical cleaner to bathe carbs?

I have a couple of old GPX 250s, one as a commuter and the other needs the carbs to be cleaned out.
    Ninja250wiki claimed pine sol will do it, but that's not available in Australia.
    I figure I should bathe the carbs for a few days then go at them manually.

Does anyone have a backyard solution to what I can safely bathe carbs in to help clean them out?

Happy to buy over the counter if there is another alternative.

The bike runs, but dies under throttle. I want to fix it up for my girlfriend so I can teach her to ride it.

All help appreciated

Sent from my Nokia 3 using Tapacrap

Motorbike
    KTM 990 Super Duke
    Liked
    3 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    best thing is an ultrasonic bath. That is usually used for cleaning silver cutlery but also works great for carburators.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...-an-Ultrasoni/
    Last edited by Goliath; 20-01-2019 at 09:00 AM.
    Likes Scraper, thro liked this post

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strip all plastic and rubber parts remove all jets etc..then boil them and the bodies in a pan of salt water. Rinse thoroughly then pop in the oven to dry...make sure she who is to be obeyed is out shoe shopping or similar while you do that.
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swap salt for Bi-Carb...boiling water..mmmm might just work..
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always used Bam oven cleaner, remove all rubber first, then spray it on, let it do its thing for about 5 minutes and rinse it of in heaps off clean water. I've tried all the low odor one but it's no good, so go for the one that smells like it wants to kill you.

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salt or bicarb are fine...they both act as a cleaner. The boiling water wont harm any metal parts and help soften any hardened deposits...the boiling action also loosens them....gets into all the tiny jets and circuits too.

Motorbike
    Liked
    371 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    I've bought a cheap ultrasonic cleaner, am currently bathing the carbs in that. It seems to be working, I'll let you know once it's back on the bike whether it worked or not

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF ??? where from...mate?

Timeline first post yesterday lunchtime..??
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    Liked
    371 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought a hundred buck ultrasonic cleaner from SCA. Had to turn the carbs over and do it a few times to clean everything.
    But it did the job, bike runs fine now. It was cool watching all the gunk dissolve through all the passages.
    Had an air lock in the cooling system, bled that, took it to a servo for some fuel and there's no bad spots through the throttle range.
    All in all worth it for the time it saved me tearing the carbs down properly.

Ps- according to SCA reviews the ultrasonic cleaner can be a bit hit or miss. Mine is fine, so far, and will use it to clean tools and other bits and pieces. If it lasts a year, great. It's done its job already!

Likes GreenMeanie, thro liked this post

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIKYSA View Post
    Bought a hundred buck ultrasonic cleaner from SCA. Had to turn the carbs over and do it a few times to clean everything.
    But it did the job, bike runs fine now. It was cool watching all the gunk dissolve through all the passages.
    Had an air lock in the cooling system, bled that, took it to a servo for some fuel and there's no bad spots through the throttle range.
    All in all worth it for the time it saved me tearing the carbs down properly.

Ps- according to SCA reviews the ultrasonic cleaner can be a bit hit or miss. Mine is fine, so far, and will use it to clean tools and other bits and pieces. If it lasts a year, great. It's done its job already!

Way to go.
    I have become a fan of them in the last 6 months.
    Great results and generally requires 4 or 5 run through if the carb is really nasty.
    Old old shit in jets and pilots sometimes doesn’t budge but that what Carb Rebuild Kits are for.

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had some baked-on fuel varnish all over my vintage carb, it was impossible to clean off without affecting the surface of the carb. I used some spray on carb cleaner and it just blew all the crap away.
    -

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have used the cans of carby cleaner to good effect a few times.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Motorbike
    BMW R100RS, K100RS, SV1000S, GSX750F, XR650L, XR650R
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BusaSteve View Post
    Strip all plastic and rubber parts remove all jets etc..then boil them and the bodies in a pan of salt water. Rinse thoroughly then pop in the oven to dry...make sure she who is to be obeyed is out shoe shopping or similar while you do that.
    And precisely what do you think the salt will do, other than get into every nook and cranny and assist in the corrosion of any ferrous components?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GsxInShed View Post
    Swap salt for Bi-Carb...boiling water..mmmm might just work..
    And what magical cleaning properties do you imagine sodium hydrogen carbonate has? Sounds to me like you’ve been spending too much time listening to Shannon fucking Lush
    Last edited by Chuck Steak; 28-01-2019 at 11:12 PM.

Motorbike
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    Way to go.
    I have become a fan of them in the last 6 months.
    Great results and generally requires 4 or 5 run through if the carb is really nasty.
    Old old shit in jets and pilots sometimes doesn’t budge but that what Carb Rebuild Kits are for.
    Yeah they work a treat. Used ‘em in labs for years for cleaning out sensitive scientific equipment components

Motorbike
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water pig View Post
    I've always used Bam oven cleaner, remove all rubber first, then spray it on, let it do its thing for about 5 minutes and rinse it of in heaps off clean water. I've tried all the low odor one but it's no good, so go for the one that smells like it wants to kill you.
    Yep. Oven cleaner is a surprisingly good general purpose cleaner. Where’d you get the idea from out of curiosity

Motorbike
    2018 MT10 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got one of those sca ultrasonic cleaners and have been happy with the results - I read some bad reviews too but I think some people are just retarded

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Steak View Post
    Yep. Oven cleaner is a surprisingly good general purpose cleaner. Where’d you get the idea from out of curiosity
    I was told by an old hot rodder friend of my dad, he's been using oven cleaner since the 50s. I've used it for about 20 years now with great results every time

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Steak View Post
    And precisely what do you think the salt will do, other than get into every nook and cranny and assist in the corrosion of any ferrous components?

- - - Updated - - -

And what magical cleaning properties do you imagine sodium hydrogen carbonate has? Sounds to me like you’ve been spending too much time listening to Shannon fucking Lush
    Just remind me why I, or anyone bothers to reply and try and help you given your arrogant attitude....salt dissolves in boiling water and acts as a cleaner and what ferrous parts are you rererring to? all the jets are brass and the body is alloy.

And if you read my entire post you would have seen the part where you wash the entire thing in copious clean water before popping in the oven to dry...still you seem to know everything, except how to buy the right bike....so would know this. Your current avatar is very appropriate
    Likes Water pig, dwillia, Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BusaSteve View Post
    Just remind me why I, or anyone bothers to reply and try and help you given your arrogant attitude....salt dissolves in boiling water and acts as a cleaner and what ferrous parts are you rererring to? all the jets are brass and the body is alloy.

And if you read my entire post you would have seen the part where you wash the entire thing in copious clean water before popping in the oven to dry...still you seem to know everything, except how to buy the right bike....so would know this. Your current avatar is very appropriate
    Still haven't told me why you think salt acts as a cleaner. Just to remind you of its chemistry - it's sodium chloride. In water it dissociates into monovalent sodium and chloride ions. As it is the salt of a strong acid/base it has no relevant conjugate acids or bases to speak of - in other words, it's essentially inert (apart from assisting in corrosion under the right circumstances). If you think salt has any cleaning properties you've been spending too much time listening to Shannon fucking Lush

And just in case it isn't already obvious, I don't give a flying fuck what you or anyone else thinks of me

Motorbike
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water pig View Post
    I was told by an old hot rodder friend of my dad, he's been using oven cleaner since the 50s. I've used it for about 20 years now with great results every time
    Yeah it's bloody good all right. Also good for getting diesel soot off the back of cars, brake dust off your wheels, and is the best pretreatment for HP cleaning of alloy wheels. Also good anywhere skin fat is an issue - light switches, armrest on your car and so on. It's also a good direct-spray cockroach and spider killer - the best one is Mr Muscle as it is a very rigid foam and the cockroach drowns