Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
    Well after changing the battery I've done about 5 stone cold starts that went perfectly, so the culprit does seem to be the battery.

Perfect outcome.. cheap too compared to my suggestions.

Motorbike
    1988 GSF250P, 2010 Z1000, 2013 Z800
    Liked
    423 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel_of_steell View Post
    The z800 design is honestly dumb. I just did the 36k service on a mates bike. Couple of things:
    -I counted 16 plastic covers to remove over the course of a service, GLHF
    -Read the owners manual, you're probably due for a valve check, GLHF
    -Easiest way to get the spark plugs is to remove the thermostat with both radiator hoses attached - undo them at the radiator and the rear coolant manifold end and wiggle the whole assembly out
    -While you're there, you may as well change the rear coolant manifold O rings and flush the cooling system out
    -A good throttle body balance makes the bike start/run infinitely better. Get yourself a good external tachometer because the dash isn't accurate enough. The idle speed adjuster screw is hidden off on the left side of the bike near the? footpeg I think?

Enjoy
    Many thanks for the extra insights, it runs beaut so aside from the starting thing I think I'll bide my time for now and perhaps just throw money at someone/a business to do a major for me. I've banaced TB's before and it was a PITA so that combined with the extra work for plugs, needing valves checked etc etc it could be worth the money. I love doing maintenance myself but this is like a whole new level of GLHF and as mentioned I'm time poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    Yeah they can be bastards of things, especially when they drop cells etc I had one battery in my old F100 that would start fine even when it was <10C but drive for 20 minutes and stop and it wouldn't crank till the vehicle cooled down, ended up being a dud cell
    Saying that a new battery can also hide other issues like R/R or stator issues
    Yes I've had a new battery hide issues too... bloody minefield!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    Perfect outcome.. cheap too compared to my suggestions.
    Indeed and thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by boeman View Post
    Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Steak View Post
    Well fuck off then. And wherever you decide to fuck off to, keep telling them Perth is a shithole - it may help minimise the number of fuckwits/arseholes (canít decide which word is more appropriate ) that move here.