Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    Honda VFR400. Fuck that bike.
    Really?
    The bike is over engineered and very capable.
    When I was still racing I was able to get within a second of my PB, set on the KTM, on my first event on the Viffa...planted little bike, great sound...very capable bike.
    All I've got and more for #294...RIP Chris Adley
    #158...RIP James Thompson

Wooohoo !! Fucking 10/10 ride. Cheers for that Aari, you really conditioned my sphincter
    Likes GsxInShed, RRossi, thro liked this post

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by =Maz= View Post
    Really?
    The bike is over engineered and very capable.
    When I was still racing I was able to get within a second of my PB, set on the KTM, on my first event on the Viffa...planted little bike, great sound...very capable bike.
    Didn’t something err.. happen to that bike ? My one was a piece of shit, and most people I know who didn’t spend thousands modifying or improving them said the same
    Rest in Peace

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, SV650S, YZ250, CRF50
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think we are getting confused between reliability & performance in this thread.

the reliability of a bike is how long it will go from the shop floor unmodified no matter how fast or slow it is

IE i brought a DRZ not because its a slow piece of shit but because it will go forever with out touching it and OP was referring to bikes you buy that are the opposite of that

like a ZX10 will be pretty reliable until you get up to 25 / 30k on the clock then the stator will burn out
    Last edited by Hillz; 07-02-2019 at 09:51 AM.
    Likes Kristy liked this post

Motorbike
    2006 GSX1400, 2008 SV650, 1992 NC30, 2015 RC390
    Liked
    833 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn’t something err.. happen to that bike ? My one was a piece of shit, and most people I know who didn’t spend thousands modifying or improving them said the same
    Maybe you need to talk to people who push them a bit harder in fairly stock form.
    Yes mine dropped a valve through the engine but, the guy from PSB who sold it to the guy I purchased it from bullshitted his arse off about the bike...my plan was, foolishly, floored.

In stock form the Reg/Rec and Rear shock were pretty shit...so reliability in the electricals was a bit dodgy....but the technology is 28+ years old.

Wooohoo !! Fucking 10/10 ride. Cheers for that Aari, you really conditioned my sphincter

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe you need to talk to people who push them a bit harder in fairly stock form.
    Yes mine dropped a valve through the engine but, the guy from PSB who sold it to the guy I purchased it from bullshitted his arse off about the bike...my plan was, foolishly, floored.

In stock form the Reg/Rec and Rear shock were pretty shit...so reliability in the electricals was a bit dodgy....but the technology is 28+ years old.
    I must’ve bought mine from the same dude hahahahaha
    Rest in Peace

Motorbike
    Bandit 1200S
    Liked
    69 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillz View Post
    i think we are getting confused between reliability & performance in this thread.

the reliability of a bike is how long it will go from the shop floor unmodified no matter how fast or slow it is
    Yea that's what I mean. Just basic shit going wrong within the foreseeable life of the vehicle, that should have been caught in pre production or at least recalled and rectified.
    -gs500 swingarms rusting out
    -bmw oilheads with surging issues or r1200s blowing brake servos really young
    -all the 2000s era hondas that reliably blew reg/recs
    -tl1000s cracking frames
    -dr650s with NSU and countershaft failures
    -harley electra glides falling apart generally

Most of those bikes had really long production runs and would have shown those issues on even a half arsed test program. Production engineers aren't dumb, and surely if it somehow slipped through a test program, they'd be looking at the statistics of warranty and parts purchased to keep on top of the product? It's bizarre, given the 'customer is always right' post-hot-coffee-lawsuit era that we live in.
    Quote Originally Posted by devolved
    I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.

Motorbike
    Hot tub SRAD time machine
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and i dont think you can confuse design and manufacture build and reliability over the warranty and say 5 - 8 years, against one thats been around for 25 years and bits suffering from just plain old age.

MOST bikes i rekon 25 - 30 years old?? even solid ones? theres going to be "missing scenes" where no one really knows what actually went on or how something happened, but you get to see the end result afterwoods, like a really cracking good weekend on the Bundaberg Rum.

thats a different thing totally from a Hyo or an early Hyundai

or even a recent one some would say
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Motorbike
    VJ22 RGV250, MC22 CBR250RR(R), CBR600RR, CBR1000RR Repsol
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I very much suspect there's a major difference between yourself on the bike you rode, and a third rate basket-case example ridden by someone a lot less capable.

They're 20+ years old now and like any 20+ year old bike will vary massively in reliability, handling, braking, etc. depending on how they have been maintained.

If you're not willing to spend the thousands of dollars required to maintain or restore a VFR or RVF400 (or any other small 4 cylinder or two strokes these days), you don't deserve one (or rather, you deserve the problems you get). They're a modern classic and should be treated as such.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa
    Likes =Maz=, xor liked this post

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmm the most reliable bike on the planet haha
    Oh. I didn’t mention the cam caps and head ovalling out.
    High revs apparently. Fuck off Honda.

But since they build high performance step throughs and big bore CT110s that amount for the majority of their sales world wide there are plenty of Numpties about think they are reliable and well engineered.

And I was beaten for boring.
    Last edited by GreenMeanie; 11-02-2019 at 03:58 AM.

Motorbike
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i still dont under stand what you are trying to say, yeah sure you think hondas are shit but its just a fact the majority or them are bullet proof

Z50
    CRF50
    CT110
    every XR
    VTR250
    all the quads they make (i have a 1988 TRX300 that has never been apart) the list just goes on forever etc etc etc
    you have worked with Jordan.. he would say the same thing
    Likes CbrRider81 liked this post

Motorbike
    2006 GSX1400, 2008 SV650, 1992 NC30, 2015 RC390
    Liked
    833 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thro View Post
    I very much suspect there's a major difference between yourself on the bike you rode, and a third rate basket-case example ridden by someone a lot less capable.
    Thanks Thro...you'll make me blush. lol
    In reality, had been off the race bike for at least 6 months when I entered the Historic State Championships last year...so well out of race-conditioning...and the bike was basically serviced and the springs changed all around to match the fat bastard on the bike. So maybe a first-rate basket case.
    My point is...even with a fat, out of condition but reasonable rider on it the bike is able to carry corner speed and pull out of corners well enough that even an average-condition VFR400 has to be respected. Bang for Buck...the NC30 beats the RC30.

Likes thro liked this post

Motorbike
    Hot tub SRAD time machine
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reliability from a US non bike site, Honda's up there with Suzuki, Yamaha. then Kawasaki

"The reliability ratings are based on failure rates for 4-year-old bikes:

Yamaha/Star (11 percent failure rate)
    Suzuki and Honda (12 percent)
    Kawasaki (15 percent)
    Victory (17 percent)
    Harley-Davidson (26 percent)
    Triumph (29 percent)
    Ducati (33 percent)
    BMW (40 percent)
    Can-Am (42 percent)
    "

Linky : https://www.moneytalksnews.com/the-m...nd-not-harley/
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was interested to know what constituted a "failure" but despite following links on that page, couldn't find it (article mentioned failure rates but talked about satisfaction ratings - link provided to failure ratings didn't bring up anything). Is failure considered anything that breaks/stops working before its time (i.e. not strictly wear and tear [e.g. brake pads] but maybe reg/rec as an example), or are we talking mass failure (e.g. engine says no, or a crack in the frame etc.)? They mention repair rates in one of the articles so it must mean *anything* that stops working. If I rode a bike 20,000km/year and had 1 thing break in those 4 years I'd be pretty happy.
    Last edited by Kristy; 08-02-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Motorbike
    VJ22 RGV250, MC22 CBR250RR(R), CBR600RR, CBR1000RR Repsol
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between 2 10 year old Hondas with 180,000 between them the only failures i have had, have been a kill switch that needed contact cleaner, and a broken indicator switch.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had more bikes than I've had hot dinners, ridden around 150,000km and honestly can't recall any major things failing, but the longest I've had a bike for was my CBR6 which was probably about 7 years, and the most kms I've done on any one bike was 38,000km on my K9 gixxer over about 1.5 years and not one issue. The two most major things that come to mind was a cam chain tensioner on my CBR6 (ex-race bike) and a super pesky FI light on both of my L1 gixxers - both FI light problems arose after lack of use. Have replaced spark plugs due to me being a dunce and repeatedly trying to start the bike when the battery needed a charge but I think that's about it.

I've had more problems with cars.

Motorbike
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    americans are a joke & the things they consider failure would be common sense wearing items i would imagine..

example... there is now warnings on pistons for California, maybe so they don't put them in their vaginas like mobile phones & sue
    Likes Kristy, CbrRider81 liked this post

Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 RSV4 Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is now warnings on pistons for California, maybe so they don't put them in their vaginas like mobile phones & sue
    I've seen some pretty knarley videos in my time... turns out everything is a dildo if you're brave enough
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes Green Trident, Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    2014 Valkyrie
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes CbrRider81, BillyBoof liked this post

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel_of_steell View Post
    -all the 2000s era hondas that reliably blew reg/recs
    Most of those bikes had really long production runs and would have shown those issues on even a half arsed test program.
    Actually that was more the mid>late 90's, by the mid 2000's they'd pretty much sorted the electrical issues with upgrades R/R's and stators
    Honda did get a bad rap because they made/sold so fucking many more bikes than most others so obviously the overall ratio of bikes with issues will be higher
    My 98 BB has done over 167 000km's and had 1 stator and 3 regs go but the original reg lasted over 8years/40k and I had no issues with the upgraded R/R till about a year ago @ ~160k due to me not diagnosing the issue of a corroded/melted fuse box and dodgy stator correctly I killed the 2nd R/R in only a few months/low km's
    Once D Ball had sorted the melted fuse box and there was a new stator and reg in her she was all good again

Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    and i dont think you can confuse design and manufacture build and reliability over the warranty and say 5 - 8 years, against one thats been around for 25 years and bits suffering from just plain old age.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    Oh. I didn’t mention the cam caps and head oval lung out.
    High revs apparently. Fuck off Honda.
    I think you're confusing them with the ZZR1100/ZRX/ZXR's etc pitting and losing the surface on their camshafts
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator
    Likes thro liked this post