4 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duke Monster 1100 Evo / 1200 Reliability

Okay

I know they're not japanese and thats okay.

Those who have previously owned Duke's can you tell me your thoughts on service, and reliability.

Currently on my list of bikes to test ride are:

Triumph Speed Twin 1200
    Honda CB1000R
    BMW R-nineT Scrambler
    Ducati 1100 or 1200 Monster whatever

My first one this sat is the Honda.

So thoughts on the Duke - awesome or not worth the hassle? I have previously had experience with weird brand twins and i loved my Buell, and yes it did fall apart.

Cheers

Ben

Motorbike
    Twin
    Liked
    122 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a 1098S since new in 2007 - had two issues with it. 1st issue, the ECU supplied with the Termi slip-ons had a problem where the bike would cut out occasionally at idle. Swapped out the ECU & problem solved. Second issue was an oil leak, it dripped occasionally onto one of the headers. Took it back to Frasers under warranty and they traced it to a gasket or seal (I can't remember now..) at the starter motor. Modern Ducati motorcycles don't have the problems that the older ones had, such as electrics & so on. They can be expensive to service (especially if you need to get the belts changed) but if you have some mechanical aptitude, no reason you can't do that yourself.

Edit: After seeing Azazl's post below, reminded me - I had a 800SS before the 1098, which I also had from new, but only for 3 years I think. No issues with it at all.

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1098R has been super reliable after spending $1,000,000 fixing up the explodey gearbox.

The known explodey gearbox that's the riders fault because "you use it on the track"...

900 supersport has been good too with a new owner who loves it. Only problem with that one was a cheesey headstud. All replaced several years ago and that +20 year old bike is running beautifully too.
    Hey there, Hey fella.

Motorbike
    Twin Italian twins
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dad's '97 900SS still runs like new and never had an issue with it, bought from the factory.

My 996 has 44k kms on it and runs great. Had a dodgy air temp sensor when I got it a few years ago which made it hiccup a little when hot, but once that was sorted never had another issue.

S2R 800 is my daily and has never failed me, though admittedly I haven't had it that long. Will return a verdict after another winter on it.

In summary, (un)reliability of Italian bikes isn't what it used to be and they've picked up their game a lot from the days of yore. Just Google common issues and see if any are a dealbreaker

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking the 1100 Monster is pretty much the same as the aircooled two-valve 1100 Hypermotard? I've had no problems at all in 36,000k. Servicing can be expensive (about a grand), dry clutch needs replacement about every 3rd service.
    -

Motorbike
    Twin
    Liked
    122 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by agrid View Post
    dry clutch needs replacement about every 3rd service.
    Yep, that's something I've managed to do myself... and I'm a mechanical moron (some would just say "moron," but anyway...) so you can save $$ there. There are youtube clips dedicated to a lot of servicing matters for Ducs, worth taking a look.

Motorbike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Liked
    4 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, i really appreciate it.

I will be riding a few before buying but currently leaning towards a jap as it will be a daily, and as im going to change careers my income will take a dive and i dont think the italian will like being in povo land.

Motorbike
    ZX10R, SV650S, DRZ400SM, YZ250, CRF50
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CB1000R... can hold its own against the euros in looks plus it will go forever

Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 RSV4 Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think running costs too...

Price up a set of sprockets from Ducati... when you regain consciousness, check the other ones.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Liked
    4 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay so i feel as though i have answered my question. I did recover from a heart attack just as Turbs said and after picking myself up from the floor and coming to my senses, its probably a japper -
    But the BMW might get a look in - the trumpy is probably out of my price range as the only one im interested in is the Speed Twin which is rare as hens teeth at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Took the CB1000R out for a ride this morning, a few more to ride in the next coming weeks/months but it kinda ticked most of the boxes.
    The only box it doesnt tick is the 'soul' of a twin... but you know i did sell my soul to a twin before, and she fell apart on me... while riding....

Motorbike
    Honda CBR 1000 RR. CBR 600 RR track
    Liked
    695 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MuNch View Post
    Okay so i feel as though i have answered my question. I did recover from a heart attack just as Turbs said and after picking myself up from the floor and coming to my senses, its probably a japper -
    But the BMW might get a look in - the trumpy is probably out of my price range as the only one im interested in is the Speed Twin which is rare as hens teeth at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Took the CB1000R out for a ride this morning, a few more to ride in the next coming weeks/months but it kinda ticked most of the boxes.
    The only box it doesnt tick is the 'soul' of a twin... but you know i did sell my soul to a twin before, and she fell apart on me... while riding....
    I remember it falling apart too...lol...but what a beautiful bike she was!!!
    SP RACINGis supported by:
    MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
    Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
    Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au
    Likes MuNch liked this post