User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 2019 F1 Season

The wretched hive of scum and villainy that is my office.
    Motorbike
    Nothing as yet, soon as I get a license and bike I will let you know
    Liked
    299 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 F1 Season

Alrighty then, apologies for the delay in posting this, there's a fair bit to get through, I will attempt to keep it as brief as possible.

First off some sad news, FIA F1 Race Director Charlie Whiting passed away earlier today aged just 66 in Melbourne, from a pulmonary embolism (more info about the condition here ->blocked blood vessel in your lungs). SkySports report here

Quick prayer for Charlie and Jules Bianchi :

Spoiler: show
    Our father who art in Eau Rouge, hallowed be thine Parabolica as it is in La Rascasse,
    Give us this day our daily supersofts and lead us not into Indycar and deliver us from NASCAR.
    For thine is the power and the glory of being flat through 130R

BOX BOX BOX!!! All Hail the Pitgods Kravitz & Pinkham Forza CharlieW & #JB17
    Right on we go, first up the cars in no particular order as I cant be arsed to post them in launch order, for the OCD among us, I apologise in advance...

HAAS :

Drivers :

No changes

8 - Romain Grosjean
    20 - Kevin Magnussen

Toro Rosso :

Drivers :

2 changes : Hartley out, Gasly promoted

23 Thailand - Alexander Albon (not the first Thai believe it or not)
    26 Russia - Daniil Kvyat (there's a what could possibly go wrong)

Williams

Drivers :

2 changes : Sirotkin out, Stroll to Racing Point

63 UK George Russell
    88 Poland Robert Kubica

Renault

Drivers :

One change, Sainz Jr to McLaren

3 Australia Daniel Ricciardo
    27 Germany Nico Hülkenberg

Mercedes :

Drivers :

No Changes

44 UK Lewis Hamilton
    77 Finland Valterri Bottas

Red Bull :

Drivers :

1 change Danny Ric to Renault

10 France Pierre Gasly
    33 Netherlands Max Verstappen

Not going to post car images yet, as they've done the usual camo look but this years is crap so will not dignify it until I can source some race livery images.

Racing Point - AKA Force India

Drivers :

1 change Ocon to Merc (reserve and sim driver with Stoffel Vandoorne

11 Mexico Sergio Pérez
    18 Canada Lance Stroll

McLaren :

2 changes, Alonso retired, Vandoorne to Mercedes Formula E and some testing

4 UK Lando Norris
    55 Spain Carlos Sainz Jr

Alfa Romeo (aka Sauber) :

Drivers :

1 change, Leclerc off to Ferrari, Raikonen in

7 Finland Kimi Räikkönen
    99 Italy Antonio Giovinazzi

Ferrari

Drivers :

1 change, Raikonen to Alfa Romeo

5 Germany Sebastian Vettel
    16 Monaco Charles Leclerc

TYRES

Right now for some mind bending here, why? Supposedly to make things easier, there is one less dry compound that Pirelli will produce, they also been given a number instead of a name, C1 (hardest) to C5 (softest), cue the explosion jokes from Martin Brundle when the 4's go bang!, see below graphic for comparison, now here's the screwy bit, the colours that would have been on the tyres a la last season have also been "simplified" down to three for race weekends.

So first the comparison from last season to this season :

So on a race weekend this is what you will actually see and referenced to in commentary :

Now for the pre and in season tests :

As I mentioned earlier, this is just ridiculous, I had no issues at all understanding it, see the below tyres section for an explanation from F1 in red. Millenials and other special snowflakes probably couldn't understand it "Oh it's too complex and I can't handle it it's triggering my [insert your favourite bullshit reason here]" Admittedly in certain light conditions the purple and pinks were sort of hard to ID, but there was also explainer graphics on screen

The actual fix they should have applied last year to the tyres is instead of hypersoft being pink it should have been purple, the ultrasofts red and the supersofts orange.

This years should have been, C4 orange and C5 purple.

The inters and wets remain as is, however the inters compound has been adjusted a bit to work in a wider range of conditions, there were a few times last season where it was too wet for inters but not wet enough for full wets, WHICH HOLY FREAKIN FUCKBALLS BATMAN SOMETHING ACTUALLY MAKES FUCKEN SENSE FOR FUCKS SAKE

Regulations Changes Source

Technical regulations

In a bid to improve overtaking, teams agreed to a series of aerodynamic changes that affect the profile of the front and rear wings. The front wing endplates were reshaped to alter the airflow across the car and reduce the effects of aerodynamic turbulence and winglets above the main plane of the front wing have been banned. The slot in the rear wing was widened, making the drag reduction system (DRS) more powerful. The agreed-upon changes were drawn from the findings of a working group set up to investigate potential changes to the technical regulations in preparation for the 2021 championship.

Parts of the technical regulations governing bodywork were rewritten in a bid to promote sponsorship opportunities for teams. The agreed changes are to mandate smaller bargeboards and limit aerodynamic development of the rear wing endplates to create more space for sponsor logos. The changes were introduced as a response to falling revenues amid teams and the struggles of smaller teams to secure new sponsors.

The mandated maximum fuel levels were raised from 105 kg (231 lb) to 110 kg (240 lb) so as to minimise the need for drivers to conserve fuel during a race. Driver weights are no longer considered when measuring the minimum weight of the car. This change was agreed to following concerns that drivers were being forced to lose dangerous amounts of weight in order to offset the additional weight of the post-2014 generation of turbo-hybrid engines. Drivers who weigh less than 80 kg (180 lb) will have to make up this weight with ballast, located around the seat to minimise possible performance gains. The changes were introduced to eliminate the advantage drivers with a naturally-smaller body shape had over taller and heavier drivers, and to discourage unhealthy diet and exercise regimes to improve performance.
    Sporting regulations

The regulations introduced a bonus point to a driver who sets the fastest lap in a race, with the constructor of the driver also receiving the point. The point is only awarded if the driver is classified inside the top ten at the end of the race. This makes 2019 the first time since 1959 that a bonus point gets awarded for fastest lap.

Driver safety

The FIA introduced a new standard for driver helmets designed to improve safety. Under the new standard, helmets will be subjected to a more thorough range of crash tests aimed at improving energy absorption and deflection as well as reducing the likelihood of objects penetrating the helmet's structure. All certified helmet manufacturers were required to pass the tests in advance of the 2019 championship to have their certification renewed. Once introduced to Formula One, the new standard will gradually be applied to all helmets used by competitors in every FIA-sanctioned event.

Tyres

Tyre supplier Pirelli renamed its range of tyres following a request from the FIA and the sport's management. The governing body argued that the naming conventions used in 2018 were obtuse and difficult for casual spectators to understand. Under the new plan, names given to particular compounds, such as "hypersoft" and "ultrasoft", will be replaced by referring during each race to the three compounds teams have available for that race as soft, medium and hard. This is hoped to aid fans understanding the tyre compounds used at each round. The actual compounds for the season will be referred to by number, from the firmest ("1") to the softest ("5"). Pirelli will continue to decide which three compounds are made available for each race. The practice of using colours to identify the specific compound (such as pink for the hypersoft) will be discontinued, with white, yellow and red being used for the three compounds available for each race where white denoted the hardest available compound and red the softest. As all five compounds are available in testing there will be slight variations in the details on the tyre sidewalls to distinguish between the different compounds during testing.
    Last edited by Dr. Venkman; 14-03-2019 at 10:53 PM.
    DO NOT TOUCH - Probably the most unsettling thing to read in braille.

Liked
    236 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well now I am totally confused on the tyres. The first pic shows no Red in the 2019 line up, but the second pic shows that on a race day, we will see red, soft compound, but in the 2019 line up, there is no red! I will have to read it again after 17 bourbons and see if it makes sense then.

Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 RSV4 Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pictures of the HAAS look stunning.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    Honda CBR 1000 RR. CBR 600 RR track
    Liked
    695 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    They might look stunning in the pics, but I reckon they'll look ordinary in real life. I still like the Alfa/Sauber scheme the best. But what is McLaren doing with their colours???
    SP RACINGis supported by:
    MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
    Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
    Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

The wretched hive of scum and villainy that is my office.
    Motorbike
    Nothing as yet, soon as I get a license and bike I will let you know
    Liked
    299 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean'o View Post
    Well now I am totally confused on the tyres. The first pic shows no Red in the 2019 line up, but the second pic shows that on a race day, we will see red, soft compound, but in the 2019 line up, there is no red! I will have to read it again after 17 bourbons and see if it makes sense then.
    Easiest way to explain it is that the Supersoft compound from 2018 no longer exists, the remaining compounds have now been renamed C1, C2, C3. C4 & C5 - C1 being the hardest, C5 being the softest.

For race weekends Pirelli will nominate three compounds like last year that teams will then choose the number of sets of each that they will run, but instead of them having the multicoloured approach to ID'ing them they have changed it to White - Hard, Yellow - Medium & Red - Soft. That is all that they will be referred to as over the race weekend. The graphic below is what the teams will be running in Melbourne :

It does look awesome, I think depending on light conditions the car could look dull right through to menacing, the Williams just looks weird

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    But what is McLaren doing with their colours???
    Not sure about the blue on the wings, could be something to do with sponsors. The Orange however is the original team colour from when that mad Kiwi Bruce started the team. On a side note, back in the day many teams ran either a country colour or a team colour, for example Mercedes became known as the silver arrows in the 1930's when team boss Alfred Neubauer ordered that the cars be stripped of paint (they'd been on the scrutineering scales and they were just over the weight limit) including the badges to saves weight, the original paint colour? White
    DO NOT TOUCH - Probably the most unsettling thing to read in braille.

Motorbike
    An invisible one
    Liked
    278 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bonus point for the fastest lap definitely added a little bit of interest to what was an otherwise pretty uneventful race.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 RSV4 Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best possible result... Hamilton didn't win.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes Prefectionist, Roy liked this post

Motorbike
    Kawasaki ER6-NL
    Liked
    120 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best possible result... Hamilton didn't win.
    My sentiment too... you know it would have been even better than if Max overtook Lewis and got second place

Charles L was not allowed to overtake Vettel

Shame for Dani loosing front wing and retiring from the race

Let’s see what Bahrain will bring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR sparks a lot View Post
    remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
    Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
    Who died while defending his right of way;
    He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
    But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong