Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by =Maz= View Post
    Look I get it...it's fun to bash the Euro stuff but fuck, I have a massive soft-spot(hard-on, if you want) for V4 engines and I just want them to be everywhere,
    Oh, so do i for sure.

Just stirring the pot.

I'd own the shit out of an RSV4, and its on my short-list of 1000cc sports bikes to own. Might just wait for TurboR1 to fix everything that is ever likely to fuck up on his and for him to thus get bored with owning it and then buy it

I still wouldn't trust any electronic neutral lock out though, and I'd be going for a poverty pack RSV4 Factory or something As others mention above, the aprilia v4 is an amazing sound.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Motorbike
    2006 GSX1400, 2008 SV650, 1992 NC30, 2015 RC390
    Liked
    833 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes...Jodes got to ride Stefan's Aprilia V4 at the track, at my insistence so I could at least vicariously live one of my dreams.
    I too would own one in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by =Maz=; 04-04-2019 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Coz I'm a sick who got the wrong bike. Lol
    All I've got and more for #294...RIP Chris Adley
    #158...RIP James Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    Wooohoo !! Fucking 10/10 ride. Cheers for that Aari, you really conditioned my sphincter

Liked
    5 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cough Tuono cough
    Likes =Maz= liked this post

Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 RSV4 Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Aprilia Factory is pretty good, but the ZX10R I built will eat it up, spit it out and wouldn't even break sweat doing so.

If you bought one (anything Italian really) new you'd be pretty disappointed, as you could buy almost anything out of Japan and for less than the difference in modifications you could build something truly special.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Liked
    5 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buyers remorse? Nup not once. Fucken love riding my ape.

Motorbike
    VJ22 RGV250, MC22 CBR250RR(R), CBR600RR, CBR1000RR Repsol
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    The Aprilia Factory is pretty good, but the ZX10R I built will eat it up, spit it out and wouldn't even break sweat doing so.

If you bought one (anything Italian really) new you'd be pretty disappointed, as you could buy almost anything out of Japan and for less than the difference in modifications you could build something truly special.
    Performance wise you're comparing a heavily modified ZX10 vs. a stock RSV4 that probably cost you (secondhand) 1/3 the price (and will sell for roughly what you purchased it for).

Noise wise/looks wise = no contest.

But yeah - new for new i agree. Though it is certainly closer now than before - the Jap superbikes start at what... 22-24 grand now? Almost new italian bike price.

But if you buy a brand new superbike bike of any description you've got rocks in your head IMHO.

You may as well set money on fire.

(oblig: "And if you buy something italian - you can!")
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Liked
    5 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the reasons I bought the tuono over other bikes was it was already fully kitted out, braided lines, bad ass suspension, killer brakes, awesome seat. Motor hubba hubba. Sounds and looks great with the stock exhaust IMO.
    Good enough for no modding to be done.

I'm genuinely curious for the same price point NEW what other bikes are out there that offer the same.

The other contributing factor was if I bought a new bike and chucked more dough at it the lovely lady in my life would have gone troppo at that time.
    Likes sixofthebest liked this post

Motorbike
    2014 Valkyrie
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree - I’m facing the same question right now as it’s getting to be time for a change. I want (in order):
    - Excellent suspension
    - Excellent brakes
    - Decent streetable power (Tuono is overkill for my use but no real harm done there)
    - Decent safety packages for when I’m not at my best

An MT-09sp with new forks is probably close financially but then if I want top notch brakes the budget is blown and it’s still an MT-09 engine.

Triumph RS / MT-10sp / s1000r are next but they’re not exactly cheap - may as well have a Tuono for that money. That engine after all... but the yam/bmw would probably depreciate a little less and be more reliable...
    Likes BillyBoof, thro liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting an Italian bike second hand after the bulk of the depreciation has been done will only leave you with hoping that the previous owner has fixed all the things (correctly) that should been recalls but weren’t. There is the benefit that a lot of the good stuff is already on there. But to get one from new? Nope.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes sixofthebest, thro liked this post

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've bought one bike from new because I simply *had* to have it, and two ex-demos. The second you ride out of the carpark it's lost 1 to 2 grand... I don't know too many people who willingly hand over a couple of grand without blinking. But I guess, to each their own - if they want to pay for an unmolested bike/car so be it. Plus, someone has to buy them new so I can buy them once they've done the bulk of their depreciating. Though I was surprised how much my Golf GTI was still depreciating after 5 years.

Edit: and then there's loans on depreciating assets which has even more of an impact.
    Last edited by Kristy; 06-04-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Motorbike
    fast ones
    Liked
    406 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They only depreciate if you sell them.
    “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”
    Likes BillyBoof, TurboR1, thro liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bean View Post
    They only depreciate if you sell them.
    And if you keep them long enough, and buy something reasonably niche, they appreciate again

V4s, 2 strokes, triples.... anything other than the brain-out sport bike formula of "japanese 4 stroke inline 4" (which from a performance standpoint is of course cheap bang for buck) imho will eventually appreciate.

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems funny talking about value of bikes because we don't buy them to make money (I don't regret one cent I've spent on bikes). If making $ was our intent, there's definitely better investments to be made.

Agree with them only technically depreciating if you sell them. If you know it's a keeper, sure; but often those that appreciate in value likely go through many owners before people retrospectively realise their value/worth compared to what has subsequently been released, and then become a keeper. Similarly, while something may appreciate, again only relevant if you sell. I guess with manufacturing restrictions getting tighter and with all the rider safety bs, older bikes look increasingly attractive. I guess also you don't know that the tech development at that time, while possibly groundbreaking is not to be developed further/made again etc.
    There's also nostalgic childhood dream bikes people buy which may have no monetary value - my childhood dream bike was a green kwaka ninja... I clearly had no taste
    To date, I don't regret selling any of my bikes. A few were harder to sell than others because of my personal attachment to them, the others were easy. None of them unique though, or likely to be sought after in future.
    Last edited by Kristy; 07-04-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Motorbike
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buying to make money is of course dubious.

But if you can get something that is fun to own and ride and not lose money or maybe even come out in front - essentially free money vs. buying a new jap inline 4 like everyone else and taking the massive depreciation hit.

Had this discussion with a mate regarding cars.

If you want to find out what's going to be worth a mint in future, probably talk to kids age 6-12 and see what they dream about owning today. Then buy it in 5-10 year's time while its still cheap

I remember when the VL walkinshaw came out for example. A lot of adults at the time called it the plastic fantastic and crapped on it.

Now? worth heaps. One recently sold for $340k

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    There's also nostalgic childhood dream bikes people buy which may have no monetary value - my childhood dream bike was a green kwaka ninja...
    Case in point, me buying a ZX7R last year as I always wanted one when I first started riding but couldn't afford it. Knowing that back in the day they were a great handling, powerful race bike.

However after a decade of riding and racing R1's, ZX10R's and any number of other 1000cc super bikes, jumping on a 20year old design bike, while still fun, was hardly the experience that my rose coloured youth painted it out to be.

Motorbike
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    However after a decade of riding and racing R1's, ZX10R's and any number of other 1000cc super bikes, jumping on a 20year old design bike, while still fun, was hardly the experience that my rose coloured youth painted it out to be.
    Because...

Quote Originally Posted by thro
    anything other than the brain-out sport bike formula of "japanese 4 stroke inline 4"
    we have inline 4 sports bikes that are far more capable today.

buying an old one is just... buying something less advanced. for the most part. old versions of exactly the same formula are imho always going to be a disappointment.

probably doesn't help that it would have about 2/3 the horses at the wheel of your ZX10... at best