Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mhay View Post
    In my recent assessment at joondalup it was two parking bays and I over shot it twice and still passed, he said that my old bike was probably not going to stop within that distance and I had good control.
    Wow that is lenient. good on you for passing on something old school.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysboy View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I remember it as being you must stop within 12m of the assessors hand signal under normal conditions, or 16m in poor/wet conditions.

They will be looking at stopping distance, stability during the maneuver, whether your front/rear brake have locked or skidded any, and if you have stopped with your correct foot down first (left).
    Sweet. Lorna (my wife) and I are away at work and were debating this. We had a light bulb moment while doing some drills on Wednesday. She was still anxious about brushing then squeezing the front brake
    lever, in case she went over the bars or tucked the front end.
    Once we discussed the dynamics of what the bike does and did some slower practice Lorna was gob smacked how fast the VTR250 would pull up. It was a lesson for both of us and hopefully she will pass her test
    next week.

Really appreciate the info guy's.
    Last edited by Maloney67; 01-01-2016 at 04:02 PM. Reason: wrong placement
    "Love a ranga today"

"How long, not long, because because what you reap is what you sow"

Motorbike
    Honda VTR 250 Supersport Naked RRII Goosefat
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been editing some videos for Dwayne at Down Under Riders to help newbies with some riding manoeuvres for their tests. Just finished this one for O-turns (something that all new riders take a little while to master).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95MjtTmAwUE

Am I missing any helpful pointers in this video that I could add?

Motorbike
    2015 Daytona 675RABS, 2006 CRF450X (Rtd), 2013 Nuda 900RABS (Ret), 2014 Street Triple 660ABS (Ret)
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Everlongdrummer View Post
    Been editing some videos for Dwayne at Down Under Riders to help newbies with some riding manoeuvres for their tests. Just finished this one for O-turns (something that all new riders take a little while to master).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95MjtTmAwUE

Am I missing any helpful pointers in this video that I could add?
    Noticed you didn't check for traffic coming behind you (also forward), concentrating 100% or too much on the turns you gonna do.

Before you decide you gonna turn you need to look back to check for traffic and only if it's safe, then do the turn, if not indicate left and park on the side of the road till the area is clear.

If you do your Os similar to that clip the examiner will mark you for unsafe maneuver/ no head checks or whatever it is.

Hope this helps
    Best I can do to describe the issue is this.
    Normally it goes BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, shift, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

But now it's a bit more like this
    BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-R-R-r-r-r-r-r-, shift

exan

Motorbike
    Honda VTR 250 Supersport Naked RRII Goosefat
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not me riding - but that's a good point! Thanks heaps
    Likes BikeONE liked this post

Motorbike
    A 2 wheeled one
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this has been posted already, but the following may be of benefit to people.

It is the WA Motorcycle Competency Standard - essentially what they measure you against, and goes into absolute detail:
    http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...Competency.pdf

helpful as well for those going for the R class too.
    Likes Mr Bean liked this post

Motorbike
    A 2 wheeled one
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking for some advice on calming nerves.

Had a ‘test conditions’ lesson this morning, and whilst I very rarely get nervous at anything, for some reason today I was absolutely packing myself (I probably shouldn’t have been on a bike for the first half of the lesson).

Not breathing properly, gripping too tight, very very rigid body/upperbody, to the point I stuffed up some simple tasks; turning from the wrong position once, stalled the bike, not stopping at a stop sign completely – all things I do normally and with my eyes closed (figuratively, not literally). Only real saving grace was because I was so rigid, I absolutely nailed the e stop

I can do everything required competently, comfortably, and on a daily basis (as was pointed out and demonstrated after the first half when we just went for a ride).

Any suggestions on how to (legally) chill the fuck out?

Motorbike
    Gpx 250 suzuki bandit 1250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you have a full car licence can you still go by .05? if so. down a can a bit beforehand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraletic View Post
    little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Motorbike
    fast ones
    Liked
    406 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Concentrating on a few slow, deep breaths works for me.
    “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”
    Likes rubin liked this post

Motorbike
    A 2 wheeled one
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny D View Post
    if you have a full car licence can you still go by .05? if so. down a can a bit beforehand.
    Nope - as you are considered a 'Learner' for the class, BAC allowance is 0.0000000

- - - Updated - - -

quick thought, can you tape reminders on to the bikes gauge area?

Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just practice.

Total outcome independence. Realise that whatever the outcome is you aren't going to die. At best someone will ask how many goes you took on your test, "and say duh it took me 4 goes too."

Remove all distractions, take all the shit out of your pockets.
    Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools. - Sir Douglas Robert Steuart Bader
    Likes Ryanoceros liked this post

Motorbike
    Tryhard Gayowner
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I find that taking a piss is a great way for me to relax before I do anything stressful, that's why I'll always do one before a session on the track. Once that's done I usually slow my breathing down a bit, otherwise I too get all grippy and rigid. When I was doing my test I kept telling myself "I'm fucking loving this" the whole time I was riding, and the smile I got took a bit of the nerves off.

I also accidentally beeped (instead of used my indicator) and made a woman jump up in the air when I was doing my test. My assessor noticed this and did the same as he went past her, so that chilled me out a bit. Don't resort to any relaxants or suppressants, they will make you feel worse.
    Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.

Motorbike
    A 2 wheeled one
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    When I was doing my test I kept telling myself "I'm fucking loving this" the whole time I was riding, and the smile I got took a bit of the nerves off.

I also accidentally beeped (instead of used my indicator) and made a woman jump up in the air when I was doing my test. My assessor noticed this and did the same as he went past her, so that chilled me out a bit.
    the smile trick could work - haven't heard or tried that before.

be good if the assessor was pretty relaxed and had a joke with you before/during as well.

Motorbike
    Tryhard Gayowner
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubin View Post
    the smile trick could work - haven't heard or tried that before.

be good if the assessor was pretty relaxed and had a joke with you before/during as well.
    I went out of my way to talk to the first guy and got nothing back. Then my R class guy wouldn't shut up about riding and this and that. It's pot luck who you get, but they'll know whether you're ready or not. Most of them aren't just ticking boxes, they're making sure your attitude is right and you handle the bike with the confidence needed to last longer than 6 months
    Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.

Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also something that Ryan touched on.

I'd hazard a guess that the instructor has a pretty good idea of whether you'll pass or fail by the time you've left the car park.

At LNRs it not hard to spot someone inexperienced no matter what bike they're on.
    Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools. - Sir Douglas Robert Steuart Bader
    Likes =Maz= liked this post

Motorbike
    Kawasaki Ninja
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of the above, and just think it's like taking a ride with a friend. (Just don't try and race him... won't work). I had a friend that let nerves get the better of him a few times during the test and he kept making small mistakes that cost him. In the end, he just acted like it was just him and I going for a chill ride and passed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Motorbike
    fast ones
    Liked
    406 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine everyone is naked...oh wait.
    “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”
    Likes Gim liked this post

Motorbike
    None for now.
    Liked
    247 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubin View Post
    Looking for some advice on calming nerves.

Had a ‘test conditions’ lesson this morning, and whilst I very rarely get nervous at anything, for some reason today I was absolutely packing myself (I probably shouldn’t have been on a bike for the first half of the lesson).

Not breathing properly, gripping too tight, very very rigid body/upperbody, to the point I stuffed up some simple tasks; turning from the wrong position once, stalled the bike, not stopping at a stop sign completely – all things I do normally and with my eyes closed (figuratively, not literally). Only real saving grace was because I was so rigid, I absolutely nailed the e stop

I can do everything required competently, comfortably, and on a daily basis (as was pointed out and demonstrated after the first half when we just went for a ride).

Any suggestions on how to (legally) chill the fuck out?
    My instructor made me more nervous than the assessor. Maybe that's his genius strategy to prepare students or maybe he's just abrupt. I just remember feeling nervous and anxious as all heck before my test, but as soon as I pulled out I had a sense of calmness. Enjoy the ride and you'll be fine.

Motorbike
    A 2 wheeled one
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    had the test this morning, unfortunately fail.

Reason, left an indicator on too long (turned off level with a side street, not prior too). had a total of 3 marks on the page, and the indicator was the only poor one, which just happened to be in the auto fail box.

Other notes:
    - on the slow side to get to reasonable speed. Not a mark, just a note on it. a fair point cause I was consciously not accelerating too hard, (something someone mentioned too me recently, but was probably a little too cautious).
    - I dropped a foot on one corner, which the assessor had to make a mark of, but said that it wasn't really an issue. I thought I saw a car coming in my peripheral, and was about to stop, but was a light reflection off a sign so continued on. He said if was unsure, I should have just stopped rather than rolling through.
    - overtook traffic too close. I know where exactly that occurred, and why it happened (car reversing out of a driveway opposite didn't see us till half out, I swerved slightly but didn't correct the road position after), but something to keep in mind.

good points,
    - nailed the o-turns.
    - nailed the e-brake.
    - no speeding, hit all stop signs etc.
    - he said that my roadcraft is great (other than the indicator issue) which is a huge plus.

Thought it was funny afterwards, both the tester and my instructor said that it sucks about the indicator, because everyone does it now and then, I just got unlucky and did it in a test environment.

rebooked for 02/02, but will be keeping an eye out for one earlier if possible.

Motorbike
    A 2 wheeled one
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    I went out of my way to talk to the first guy and got nothing back. Then my R class guy wouldn't shut up about riding and this and that. It's pot luck who you get, but they'll know whether you're ready or not. Most of them aren't just ticking boxes, they're making sure your attitude is right and you handle the bike with the confidence needed to last longer than 6 months
    This helps massively btw.

stopped at a set of lights waiting for a bit about 5 minutes in, and just having a chat to the tester. put me at ease
    Likes Ryanoceros, Gim liked this post

Motorbike
    Domenico & his cousin Alfredo.
    Liked
    122 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny D View Post
    down a can a bit beforehand.
    Is it Friday already?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gippo
    cuntoxly
    Buy my 1098S!! See here: https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...d.php?t=180808