Liked
    48 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General Test Advice and Pointers V2.0

As the last thread didn't fully survive the forum change up all that time ago, I thought it was about time I polished it up a bit, gave it a facelift and add some important missing info.

My instructor made me write out everything I learnt after every lesson so I thought I'd share my knowledge with anyone looking to pass their R-E (or even a brush up for the R Class) Test for the first time... Here goes:

There are 3 areas you will be assessed on. They are General Riding, Controlled Stops and U-Turns/O-Turns.

For Reference Sake: MILO = Mirrors (Check your mirrors), Indicators (Start Indicating in the direction you wish to go), Look Over (Check your Blind spot). Make every move INSANELY obvious, you want this assessor to see that you are doing everything you should be.

General Riding
    This part of the test is what you should be doing all the time. This includes checking your mirros/blindspots, checking driveways/intersections/side streets/railway lines for oncoming traffic, staying out of the oil slick, sticking to the speed limit, indicating when merging, leaving enough room between you and the other road users, obeying road rules ie signs/lines/stopping in safe/leagal areas etc, cancelling indicators, choosing the correct tyre track when turning (Turning right: Right tyre track, Turning left: Left tyre track, Continuing through a Round-A-Bout: Keep the same line) etc. Basically common sense.

Controlled Stops
    The assessor will advise you to give yourself enough room to speed up and hold a particular speed to be able to perform your controlled stop. Take as much room as you need unless advised differently. Remember to MILO before you take off. My best advice is to get up to the correct speed and gear (as advised by your assessor) ASAP and hold it, this will give you more time to concentrate on the stop. When you hit the marker/the instructor drops his arm gently, but firmly apply pressure to the front brake and squeeze, releasing the throttle, ease onto the back brake and apply the clutch. Do not gear down (unless advised to do so. You should stop in the left hand tyre track, left foot down. I put my indicator on also for brownie points but I don't think that's particularly necessary. DO NOT JUMP ON THE BRAKES: This will cause the brakes to lock up and you to be catapulted off it. Also, remember to gear down and MILO before you continue in the test.

U or O-Turns
    You will be asked to perform U or O turns (same thing!). You may be asked to do 3, you could be asked to do 20... Keep going until the assessor is happy! Stay in 1st gear, at walking pace only. Use your rear brake and clutch and keep your head up. I guarantee it is 100% easier to perform these when keep your head up and you look where you want to go. Use the WHOLE road if you need it. You can turn your indicator off after each turn if you wish but its easier to keep it on and you won't be marked down for it if you do.
    Perform like so:
    MILO, take off, travel approx 15 metres (or however much space you are given), MILO and U/O-Turn, repeat. Remember when you stop to put you left foot down and put your indicator on.

I had my test at Midland and my test took 20 minutes top. Remember to be confident, not cocky and remember to breathe!

Two common places you may be taken if your test is at Midland is Wilkins Street in Bellvue or Railway Ave near Toodyay Rd in Midland. I was taken to Railway Ave to perform both my controlled stop and my U-Turns there. Be aware of School Zones depending on what time and which route your taken and remember to indicate when merging if your taken up Lloyd Street coz I think there's about 2...

Another thing I haven't mentioned so far is to LISTEN to the assessor and ask questions if you don't understand. If you need them to repeat the directions, ask! You wont get marked down for having them repeat themselves though you WILL be marked down if you go the wrong way. If you forget or get lost, pull over in the next safest location and ask.

Remember to adjust your riding to the conditions too, wether and otherwise. Make yourself seen, make sure you see everyone else and think 20m in front of you.

Also, Note that the terms and conditions of taking your test now include wearing a certain level of protective clothing. This should be a no-brainer but just in case, make sure you abide by the rules and if you don't happen to have the right gear you should deffinatly go down and see Jo at Dale Britton Motorcycles .

The T&C's also include a section where your vehicle of choice must comply with the Road Legal rules ie, it should be roadworthy/not leaking/not missing bits/be registered etc etc etc. Basically, if its about to have a yellow sticker slapped on it, don't use it.

Oh, and one more thing: FFS, If you are not licensed, DO NOT RIDE BY YOURSELF TO YOUR TEST/ANYWHERE. Get a shadow. I know of one douchebag that did this and got a BIG slap on the wrist/pineapple.

I think that's just about it so good luck and hope to see you out there!

Jo
    Last edited by joneen13; 05-05-2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: because Merctom had a cry :P
    Likes Gridlock, Winzeee, retrojit, jakey boy liked this post

Motorbike
    '06 Yamaha R1SP
    Liked
    104 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice write up, Jo.
    Especially like the little bit hidden in there.
    2006 Yamaha R1SP;
    In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
    Amen, brother. Amen.
    My nemesis; Barfridge

Liked
    48 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lolwat? I dno what you're talkin bout...

Liked
    1 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any possibility of getting rid of the black tags as its hard to read with the black theme.
    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Motorbike
    ZX12R, Moto Morini Corsaro Veloce
    Liked
    638 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome write up Jo. And theres nothing wrong with a bit of shameless self-promotion either!

Motorbike
    MT-01
    Liked
    474 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice jo

A lil add on for those who want to get to know the midland route for the railway ave section (the green bit is a section the assessor may add on)

Liked
    49 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One my instructor told me today is to check power poles for hydrant signs as sometimes the white H isn't painted on the ground. Some poor bastard got failed for stopping (yep, not even parking) where there was no white H, only white and red rings with a H on the power pole (and not even facing the road).

Motorbike
    Electric bicycle
    Liked
    28 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just became aware of this link feedback on your practical driving assessment to the DPI
    Practical driving assessment survey

It is a survey on how your test and learning experiences went.

Positive and Negative they need to know in order for further improvements to occur

Motorbike
    RS125 / RGZ250 / VTR250 / STR675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    Good advice jo

A lil add on for those who want to get to know the midland route for the railway ave section (the green bit is a section the assessor may add on)
    Often they'll just make you go back via Lloyd Street, too.

There's another route that goes out to Scott Street, with the O-turns and E-stops on Blackburn Street, and another another route that crosses over the rail line out near Archer Street, but I don't know the particulars of that one.

Motorbike
    2015 Royal Enfield Continental GT (Black)
    Liked
    10 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomman View Post
    One my instructor told me today is to check power poles for hydrant signs as sometimes the white H isn't painted on the ground. Some poor bastard got failed for stopping (yep, not even parking) where there was no white H, only white and red rings with a H on the power pole (and not even facing the road).
    OUCH!!!

now also the blue cats eyes on the road...

Motorbike
    YZ250F
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not using a paid instructor i found this thread very helpful. I passed my test but i did get asked to do a hill park which i was not prepared for, im not sure whether this is normal or not??

Liked
    1 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep hill park is normal
    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweet cheers for the right up i gotta go for a my licence next couple weeks i live on that street railway ave so easy to practice can be crazy some times always gotta be extra carefull now when im reversing out my driveway

Motorbike
    06 Cbr600rr, 85 Cr80
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the write up i got my test in 12 days in midland

Motorbike
    Nothing as yet
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome write up thanks have my test coming uo in 14 days.

Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helpful,thanks..Especially for country bumpkins who feel a bit out of the PSB loop..Made me realise about being careful which bike i start out on..Plus the need for protective gear etc..Bit different than my test in Bali...

Motorbike
    2009 CBR125R
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Im still doing lessons and I just read your thread. It was like repeating my lessons all over again! Fantastic write up. Im still brushing up on my emergency stops and I wont to practice everything Ive learnt for a bit,then will be booking in for a test after the new years or mid January with a bit of luck. Thanks
    IF YOU CANT RIDE IT.....BURY IT!

Motorbike
    Honda CBF 250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thanks for the write up, this was awesome it clarified the questions that I had. Cheers

Motorbike
    Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just figured I would add a couple of things...

Don't forget your permit (or RE license for R test)
    and proper ID. (passport/birth certificate)
    I have seen a few tests refused in my time due
    to "oh I usually have my permit in my wallet"
    and "is this library card OK for ID?".

Also with this new "no rego disc/sticker" rule I would
    suggest taking current rego papers with you as well.
    (I might just be overly paranoid about the rego)

Motorbike
    2010 SUZUKI SV650S Black
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was actually rather lucky when it came to my test. General riding had no faults but my instructor did let me off after just missing 3 street u-turns and locking up the back once on a quickstop. it probably didn't help that i used a Sachs Madass 125 for practice then a Hyo GT250 naked for the test. I was doing U-turns in a meter and a half on the Madass.