User Tag List

Page 1981 of 1982 FirstFirst ... 9811481188119311971197719781979198019811982 LastLast
Results 39,601 to 39,620 of 39622

Thread: The "pub chat" thread. *NSFW*

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedTrip View Post
    Ouch!
    I thought you’re place was weatherboard?
    As in wood.
    Not sure about domestic, but I know it can be sealed/encapsulated and ok as long as it’s not going to be cut or drilled into.
    Hope it’s not too exxie, K.
    Lower third is weatherboard. Yes, exxy is why I've put it off Wanted to pay the house off first but the momentum has begun and have a good lead so will get the ball rolling.
    Investigated numerous companies for the air con install and found a company I was happy with their methodology used. The subbies for the company I got solar through weren't wanting to drill into asbestos so yeah, might be hard to find people, though house reno companies probably deal with asbestos all the time.

Motorbike
    An invisible one
    Liked
    278 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old and young farts lend me your eyes!!

It appears (not that I can fucking see it) that I have reached an age where my 20/20 vision is starting to go and need to get my eyes checked. I remember places like OPSM and specsavers offering free testing a while ago but haven't seen it advertised recently. Are these free as advertised or only free if you buy glasses there as well. What can you get under medicare?? Any advice??
    Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Motorbike
    Twin
    Liked
    122 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Geeman View Post

It appears (not that I can fucking see it) that I have reached an age where my 20/20 vision is starting to go and need to get my eyes checked. I remember places like OPSM and specsavers offering free testing a while ago but haven't seen it advertised recently. Are these free as advertised or only free if you buy glasses there as well. What can you get under medicare?? Any advice??
    Bulk billed to Medicare - you shouldn't have to worry about making a purchase to qualify.
    Likes Geeman, Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    None for now.
    Liked
    247 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah my wife goes to any of them for the free check-up (I believe you get 1 at year...?) and then she buys her contacts online
    Likes Geeman liked this post

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure you read the fine print
    Nah jk, bulk billing is pretty much standard.

I use Lions Optics in Nedlands. Don't think I've ever gone anywhere else - my old man said their testing is much better than the 'fast food' equivalents - I wouldn't know given I've only been there but my recent experience definitely showed they're miles ahead when it comes to making up your prescription - take measurements of your eyes etc to make sure the lens is cut best for where your pupil is, actually get the lenses to fit the frame properly. None of this was done for my last lot of lenses through Just Spectacles or a similar outlet.
    Likes Geeman, BillyBoof liked this post

Motorbike
    An invisible one
    Liked
    278 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Make sure you read the fine print
    Piss orf

Yeah losing the ability to focus up close, legacy of being in front of a computer for the last 10-12 years I guess as well as 40+. My budget will only extend to whatever I can done for free at the moment so will try and do one of the free tests and see what their "fast food" verdict is!!

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Piss orf

Yeah losing the ability to focus up close, legacy of being in front of a computer for the last 10-12 years I guess as well as 40+. My budget will only extend to whatever I can done for free at the moment so will try and do one of the free tests and see what their "fast food" verdict is!!
    If you have health insurance you can usually get specs (frame and lenses) for no out of pocket expense. Though I have expensive, fussy tastes so the frames usually cost me about $500 and the lenses about $300 with health insurance giving me about $120 back

Motorbike
    None for now.
    Liked
    247 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus Christ. I got a free eye exam at SpecSavers and bought 2 pair of glasses for $30 each

Motorbike
    Triumph Sprint ST
    Liked
    368 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Piss orf

Well worth going to get your eyes checked, especially as it is free. These days they take photos of your eyes and can spot problems very early on.

Most people in their 40s gradually lose their ability to read up close, this is a natural degeneration of the eye muscles. If you have a test done and that is all it is, you can get a cheap or even free (if you have health cover) pair of glasses from the optician, or you can just pick up a very cheap pair of standard 'reading glasses' from the chemist (They do different strengths depending upon how bad your reading eyesight is).

As I have an astigmatism and needed reading glasses, I have been wearing varifocals for years, but last year I had the actual lenses in my eyes replaced (not lasered, that is different), and now don't need glasses at all. F**king magic it is too!
    Adventure before Dementia
    Likes Geeman, 2Bigfeet liked this post

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
    Jesus Christ. I got a free eye exam at SpecSavers and bought 2 pair of glasses for $30 each
    Lol when I say expensive, fussy tastes, it's probably just fussy tastes - it just so happens the ones I like/don't make me look like they occupy half my face are expensive...

Anyway, welcome to the four eyes fold, Geeman. The next thing to consider is will your lid fit the glasses in? You may not need them for riding but if you do, be aware that not all lids accommodate glasses.

Motorbike
    An invisible one
    Liked
    278 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol when I say expensive, fussy tastes, it's probably just fussy tastes - it just so happens the ones I like/don't make me look like they occupy half my face are expensive...

Anyway, welcome to the four eyes fold, Geeman. The next thing to consider is will your lid fit the glasses in? You may not need them for riding but if you do, be aware that not all lids accommodate glasses.
    That was the next question but currently bikeless so not an issue, hopefully will become a good problem soon

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get some +1.5 readers from the chemist for $20. +2.0 if you are pathetically old. You can get bifocal readers online for barely more. I bought a pair of these while in the US a few months back. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    -

Motorbike
    KTM 390 Duke | KTM 250 EXC-F
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agrid View Post
    Just get some +1.5 readers from the chemist for $20. +2.0 if you are pathetically old. You can get bifocal readers online for barely more. I bought a pair of these while in the US a few months back. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Or like above get a proper eye test bulk billed that will also test for glaucoma, macula degeneration and cataracts. Then get some properly fitted glasses for as little as $30 or $40 instead of half arsing it.
    Likes Morgs, BillyBoof, llbuono, Sonik liked this post

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
    Yeah my wife goes to any of them for the free check-up (I believe you get 1 at year...?) and then she buys her contacts online
    The last few pairs of glasses I've gotten have been from Bali when over there on holiday and have been ~1/3 the price from Specsavers etc given I have varifocals and Transitions in the one set which I use for work/general wear, meant I could spend some money on a second plain varifocal pair for use in darker environments/at night etc

Quote Originally Posted by Morgs View Post
    Well worth going to get your eyes checked, especially as it is free. These days they take photos of your eyes and can spot problems very early on.

+1 certainly a bonus checking if there is anything else wrong

As I have an astigmatism and needed reading glasses, I have been wearing varifocals for years, but last year I had the actual lenses in my eyes replaced (not lasered, that is different), and now don't need glasses at all. F**king magic it is too!
    Yeah I started wearing glasses at ~8 years old due to an astigmatism and for close work as I was getting headaches but came to wear them all the time when in the building game as I also had them hardened for work as safety glasses

Unfortunately with age and change of job working in areas with lots of camera screens/computers and my vision has gone downhill
    Missus had laser about 10 years ago and went from not being able to read number plates/street signs without glasses/contacts to not needing them but unfortunately my eyes don't suit laser

Only heard recently about replacement lenses due to a nurse at work having them so may look into whether I can get them?
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    An invisible one
    Liked
    278 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the advice all and specially agrid for mentioning bifocals and making me feel even older. Got a free exam done and all good just age related, just need reading glasses for now while using the computer at work. 1.00 on the left and 1.25 on the right. Managed to avoid the sales pitch for the $320 "package"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've bought expensive prescription glasses three times, none lasted more than six months. First pair got lost a the the BMX track, second pair at the windsurfing beach, third pair I drove over. If you buy four pairs of the shit ones from the chemist you can leave them all over the place for when you forget them.
    -

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've bought expensive prescription glasses three times, none lasted more than six months. First pair got lost a the the BMX track, second pair at the windsurfing beach, third pair I drove over. If you buy four pairs of the shit ones from the chemist you can leave them all over the place for when you forget them.
    Pity that they don't do a memory test..
    For the elderly while they get an eye checked......

Sent from my Redmi Note 4X using Tapatalk
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."
    Likes Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    An invisible one
    Liked
    278 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that there is exactly why I just wear tinted safety glasses as sunnies, they last a shitload longer than $300 Oakleys I have bought, but usually also last a shitload longer.

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might not be Friday but I'm sure many of us are in need of a Friday post...

Speeding fine revenue slows as more drivers keep to limit

So apparently we're contributing less hoonery revenue:
    The total of $101.2 million from the fines, which goes into the Road Trauma Trust Account for road safety measures, fell short of forecasts by almost $20 million.

The $120 million forecast in last year’s State Budget was revised to $110 million in May, but the 12-month total fell short of the new forecast.

The drop of more than $1 million on the 2016-17 financial year comes after the Government installed new cameras, including point-to-point cameras on Forrest Highway, and a new advertising campaign.

The State Government is predicting the downward trend in camera revenue to continue, with a forecast of $93 million in 2021-22.

Despite the drop, drivers are expected to be fined $112 million over the next 12 months.

A Road Safety Commission spokeswoman said the estimates for the account balance were monitored throughout each year.

“The revenue generated through speed and red-light cameras was lower than forecast for the 2017-18 and the revenue trend was one of decline during the financial year,” she said.

“The estimated revenue was adjusted down during 2017-18 Mid-Year Review.
    Seriously sounds like they treat it like a business with revenue as its sole purpose. We're not immune to this agenda but it seems like they're not even trying to disguise it.

So what next? A rise in the cost of fines and a lowering of the speed limits and a further dumbing down of the obedient, compliant and easily led populace?

Edit: found a road toll graph:

Red is Metro WA, blue is Regional WA and the dark purple compares YTD (light purple is total - which is superfluous given the top of the bar graph shows it). 2017 is the lowest road toll since 1999. Perhaps it SFA to do with cameras and everything to do with safer cars; but no let's attribute it to the speed cameras. If the road toll is low(er) they'll pat themselves on the back and say the message is getting through. If it goes up they flail their arms around and loudly proclaim they don't know what's going on. What I would like to see is road toll as a percentage of the driving populace... that would be more accurate than absolute numbers; but hey, that doesn't further the agenda as the graph would show it declining given there's more people on the road.
    Last edited by Kristy; 31-07-2018 at 10:17 AM.
    Likes Para045, wheel_of_steell liked this post

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I would like to see is road toll as a percentage of the driving populace... that would be more accurate than absolute numbers; but hey, that doesn't further the agenda as the graph would show it declining given there's more people on the road.
    +100 Accident RATES as a % of people and vehicles licenced has been dropping for years but they still trot out these sort of bullshit stats to justify increased penalties/lower speed limits etc etc
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator