'06 Yamaha R1SP
    Liked
    104 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Installation of www.dubsindustries.com SPY 2-way motorcycle pager alarm

I was asked by Deej to do an install write-up of the alarm that is (or will be) available through Dubs Industries. Alternatively you can email dubs@perthstreetbikes.com for details.

So here it is.

HUUUUGE thanks to both Mirkz and JME for the help with this.

NOTE: The alarm has a remote start function that I haven’t bothered to hook up, as yet. I plan to connect it at some stage to have a play but not permanently. It’s just not of any interest to me.

Tools required;
    Motorcycle tools - Whatever tools you need to remove the seat and/or fairings from your bike, depending on where you plan to install the master control unit.
    Wire cutters/strippers. Pocket knife may suffice.
    Electrical tape.

Optional tools;
    Wire joiners and connectors.
    Soldering iron.
    Velcro.
    Workshop manual.
    Electrical curcuit tester light pen thingy.

The box ;

The remote is kinda bulky but it certainly isn't a problem. When I leave the house I simply clip it to my house keys and it goes in my pocket. All good! I do have to say, though, that the LCD display isn't mounted too well inside the remote.
    The button to arm is large and easy to press, as are the buttons on the side to disarm, remote start and set off the alarm in an emergency.

The alarm!
    Includes siren, main brain unit, wire harness, LED light (not installed as not sure where to put it), antenna and two remote controls.

I did a bit of a mock up for to see where I'd fit everything. Starting with the antenna, I ran it up the side of the sub frame and thought I'd stick it up near the brake light inside the tail piece.

The siren is juuuust thin enough to sit under the bracket in the R1's tail. I could shave a half mill off to fit better but at least it's nicely wedged in, now.

Mocking up the installation, I took the tank off and placed the master unit and wiring where I thought it might need to be. Fear not, though, as the tank doesn't need to come off. I didn't realise this until later. After placing the alarm where I thought it'd fit I slowly lowered the tank into place and watched as all the room I thought was there slowly disappeared and the alarm was in just the right place to get crushed. Nice! So I decided under the seat was the place to go.
    Stay tuned, though, as it moves again.

The yellow patch under the main unit is a sticky foam pad. I prefer to be able to mount things so they can easily be removed if need be, so I used velcro to attach the parts where I wanted them. So far, after a few weeks use, nothing has come loose or moved at all.

The installation “instructions”. Yes, it’s just a wiring diagram.

So the first thing I had to figure out was what wire went where. A total pain in the arse as I don’t have a workshop manual. I Googled “2004 R1 wiring diagram” and a few other terms and found these (clickable thumbnails);

I thought I’d run the whole loom behind the battery line to keep it out of the way.

So this was the first mock-up install. Yellow wires were stuck in the indicator connectors. Red wire was jammed into the +ve battery terminal and black was -ve. The alarm kills the engine (if it’s running) or prevents it from being started by using the kill switch. Using the wiring diagrams, Mirkz and I found the kill switch down by the battery, cut the shroud away, cut the wire and joined the pink and grey wires.

The pink wire from the alarm has to be joined with the wire that goes back to the kill switch. (professional hand model used below)

Joined, soldered and heat-shrink wrapped!

Same thing done for the grey wire, which connects to the other side of the kill switch wire.

To make sure we had the right wires before splicing into the indicators I shoved the yellow wires from the alarm into the connector for the rear lights. Note that you don't cut and join these but rather you just splice into so that the alarm can flash the indicators.

So the 2 that I needed were the brown and green.

Wires stripped.

Alarm spliced in.

soldered together.

I ran the antenna down to the tail via the right hand side, outside the subframe, above the R1’s muffler. I hid it under the muffler shroud but made sure it wasn't touching the metal brackets. Due to the fact that the whole rear end can come off I didn’t want to stick the antenna to the tail so I’ve used velco.

So pretty much fully installed and ready to go. The red and white wire just to the left of the Power Commander is for the siren. This I have tucked down under pretty much every other wire, to keep it out of the way, too.

The remote start function requires 3 more wires to be connected. Due to the fact that I haven't hooked these up yet I wound them around and taped them together, as you can see in the pic below. I put all the fairings and bits back on… and it was at this point that I realised the seat has some bracing under it that exactly takes up the space I had the alarm sitting in. Bugger! So I had to find a place to put it, preferably close by. Using a little velcro it is now attached to the right side of the subframe just back from the rider’s seat, pretty much under the keyhole for the rear seat. So here is the final installation position;

As stated earlier, I haven’t hooked up all the wires, but so far so good. The alarm works well and it’s amazing the piece of mind that walking away from your bike and just pressing the button does. I used to use my disc lock every day for about the first 3 months of having the bike but then I just got sick of opening the rear seat, getting my key out, placing the lock on the disc and then having to take it off again when returning. The alarm is so much easier. The added piece of mind is that if someone does try to steal it is that it’s a proper alarm and not just a lock.
    The pager function has an average range. Testing the range one day, I was in an office building on St Georges Terrace which, at the rear, overlooks Cloister’s Newsagency and Bankwest on Hay Street, with the bike parked in His Majesty's carpark between Murray and Hay Streets. Standing at the glass windows about 9 stories up I failed to get a signal from the bike across the road, almost in visual range. I have yet to test the range in “wild space” as stated on the box. Still, the alarm works and does it’s job. It can be armed in a silent mode, so only the lights go off when triggered.
    The auto re-arm feature can be a pain if you disarm it and then take your time starting the bike, but I suspect that it's also due to the fact that I haven't hooked up the remote start function that detects when the bike has been powered up. It seems to detect, instead, that the bike is moving so I simply shake the bike after disarming it to let it know I'm on it.
    As stated, I intend to have a play with the remote start feature but it's not really something that I'm interested in. If I find that the wires do sense the bike is powered up and stops the alarm from re-arming then I'll leave those hooked up but probably will still remove the starter wire.

For the price, I highly recommend this alarm. A little know-how with reading an electrical diagram and some patience and you have yourself a great little unit. Two thumbs up.
    2006 Yamaha R1SP;
    In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
    Amen, brother. Amen.
    My nemesis; Barfridge

Motorbike
    hoonda
    Liked
    34 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very good....well done

Motorbike
    Honda CBR1000RR
    Liked
    98 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like finding space to cram the components is the hardest part. nice writeup.
    Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
    Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Motorbike
    pink r1200gs
    Liked
    299 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. Horny, brief rundown on specs of alarm please? What events will set it off etc?

Motorbike
    Black 2011 Yamaha R6
    Liked
    122 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you know how much monies it will set us back?

Liked
    28 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work Hornet.....after last nights events out my house, the time has come to increase security on the bike and around the house. Now to wait for Mr Dubs to get back to me

Motorbike
    '06 Yamaha R1SP
    Liked
    104 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    Cool. Horny, brief rundown on specs of alarm please? What events will set it off etc?
    Mirkz and I tested this out when we first mocked it up at Jamie's. The 'bump' sensor isn't so sensitive that a gust of wind or slight tap will set it off but vibration from an already running engine will, or sitting on it, or putting it back on it's side stand. Picking it up off it's sidestand won't, however, so I suspect it's not a tilt sensor, just a knock or bump sensor. I tried starting it with the key, which set the alarm off, and after 5 seconds or so it killed the engine. I tried again and it wouldn't crank over. I tested all this with the alarm armed in silent mode so it wasn't screaming at me. You can silence the alarm/remote by pressing the button to arm it again, or you can press the button to disarm it.

If you're in range then the pager will vibrate, give an audible set of beeps and show a hammer knocking on the tank to signify it's been bumped and there's a "flash" in front of the headlight to show it's flashing the indicators. The alarm itself doesn't give a full alarm, just a set of loud beeps. If this is triggered a 2nd time then it goes the full monty.

Quote Originally Posted by killswitch54923 View Post
    do you know how much monies it will set us back?
    Click the linky for Dubs Industries. $65 is underpriced, IMO.
    2006 Yamaha R1SP;
    In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
    Amen, brother. Amen.
    My nemesis; Barfridge

Motorbike
    just a back warmer for the time being :(
    Liked
    1 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good to see your working hard

mite have to invest in one of these when i buy a bike thats worth stealing lol

cowgirlz+barfie gone, now its just me sadly looking out my window
    Motorbike
    mine
    Liked
    526 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Click the linky for Dubs Industries. $65 is underpriced, IMO.
    you're fkn kidding me!! $65? i paid about $110 for my ebay unit a coupla years ago, which doesn't have the flasho you beaut remote thingy. but then again, it wasnt a dubs industries unit, which would be the difference

does sucking up get me anywhere dubs?
    "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Liked
    6583 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As stated, I intend to have a play with the remote start feature but it's not really something that I'm interested in.
    Further to run when someone pins your throttle lock?

Motorbike
    Hybrid Busa
    Liked
    266 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope

Dubs

Motorbike
    Akira - the bleck Hoonda and a wee little Gixxer 7 bitty
    Liked
    95 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

soldered together.

Oops, did someone forget what side the heatshrink goes on?

Great write up and pics man.

Motorbike
    2011 Yamaha FZ1N
    Liked
    51 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skilled write up mate. Nice work

Motorbike
    '06 Yamaha R1SP
    Liked
    104 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harro View Post
    Oops, did someone forget what side the heatshrink goes on?

Great write up and pics man.
    Well, kinda yeh but no. I wanted to put a small cut and slide it down over the top but it didn't work out. In hindsight, yeh, woulda worked better on the other side.
    Meh!
    That's what electrical tape is for.
    2006 Yamaha R1SP;
    Amen, brother. Amen.
    My nemesis; Barfridge

Motorbike
    08 CBR600RR
    Liked
    51 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like a great piece of kit. Any idea when it will be available?

Motorbike
    '06 Yamaha R1SP
    Liked
    104 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOW!

Well, I think so... I have one.
    2006 Yamaha R1SP;
    Amen, brother. Amen.
    My nemesis; Barfridge

Motorbike
    08 CBR600RR
    Liked
    51 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    haha i cant figure out the website so i'll whack him an email order

Motorbike
    Akira - the bleck Hoonda and a wee little Gixxer 7 bitty
    Liked
    95 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, kinda yeh but no. I wanted to put a small cut and slide it down over the top but it didn't work out. In hindsight, yeh, woulda worked better on the other side.
    Meh!
    That's what electrical tape is for.
    Haha yeh I hear you brother - im an electrician so I pick up on those things.

Great job otherwise, for a non-tradie.

Motorbike
    '10 Daytona 675SE, '11 Daytona 675R Track Bike
    Liked
    32 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha, i have this EXACT system installed in my baby ninja. yeh its great just being able to push a button and walk away, its not so good when u forget that you've turned it on and turn they key and the alarm goes nuts, but at least i know it works i also dont have the remote start installed. pretty good lil unit tho
    i can only satisfy one person per day.
    today is not your day and tomorow isnt looking good either.

Motorbike
    Suzuki boulevard C50
    Liked
    7 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how much would it cost to get a auto sparky to fit it
    I HAD A BREEZE UP MY SHORTS AND IT FELT LIKE CHRISTMAS!!